• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate?

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Hi, Since all my my tanks will be getting a revamp very soon I think I really need look at what substrate is best for my apisto's. I currently use 3mm "coffs harbor" australian name for mostley brown with some variation from white to balck. What I was wondering how do apisto's react to substrate colour? I know some fish can darken up over dark, wash-out over light etc, whats best to make them A happy and B doesnt negatively affect their colour

Also pebble vs sand what do they really prefer?
Anyopinions please

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
To enlight their colours, I think that a dark substrate is better.

But, because they´re geophagine, they like to "chew earth", so I prefer to use just neutral silica sand.

Bye

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use a fairly light coloured sand and like the way the fish can sift through it. I also find that they tend to adapt to the lightness and colour up fine.

ste12000

5 Year Member
I use childrens playpit sand and a black/gray 2mm gravel mixed 50/50. I find the females are able to block the cave entrances fine with this and they also show great colour. I will soon be trying oak leaves aswel to give the breeding tanks an authentic apperance.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I prefer fine sand so they can sift and also bed their young without sinking between grains. Silica sand is chemically inert which is helpful when trying to maintain a pH and hardness set point. It seems to have found very wide acceptance if the photos in Aqualog SA Cichlids II is a guide.

I haven't ever tried the play sand to find out if it affects water chemistry but I like the natural color.

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
I used both a light sand (the garden shop where I purchased it called it "washed" and it was, it only required a quick rinse) and playpit sand a couple of years ago, neither affected water chemistry at all. In hind sight my dwarves bred better with sand sand than with pebbles, but it was a bugger to keep clean if their was any degree of planting, ie hard to manouver the syphon. Since I've decided to go back to sand (probably a medium to dark sand, with 25-40% black or black/white pebble mix - see what looks good). Any suggestions on keeping a well planted tank poo reduced would be good

All my tanks are about this level of planted
100_3163.jpg

BTW, thanks for all reply's/suggestions so far :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillberg

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(