• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

stubborn a. baenschi

scott

5 Year Member
i have had a group of six f0's (3m/3f) in a 20 long for almost 6 months. the tank is well planted with a fine gravel substrate. i have had them in straight r/o with a ph of 4.5 all the way to ph 6.5 and 2dgh and 2dkh. so far i have one pair that staked out a cave but no spawns. today i moved the pair to there own 15 gal with pool filter sand substrate, caves and lots of plants. can someone who has had success getting these guys to spawn let me know what the water parameters were when they spawned and any other tips they might have as mine just aren't cooperating.

scott

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I just got this fish from Neil. They are doing well on a diet of baby brine, daphnia, white and red mosquito larvae. Tank conditions are pH 7.2, hardness 40ppm and a temperature of 80 F. I just had another spawning of A. tucurui in these same conditions. The last batch of fry are now close to 1/4". I am assuming that these guys will live and breed in the same conditions but we will see. If I have luck I will let you know. Hope that helps. I know Neil has had them spawn. Hopefully he will see this post.

~Jeremy Basch

scott

5 Year Member
the pair i moved seems to be doing well. the female has be in a cave most of the time. i have had fish spawn the first day they were moved before but she's probably just scared still. i guess only time will tell.

scott

scott

5 Year Member
nothing yet. the female has taken on a bright yellow but the male doesn't show much interest in her advances. i don't know if i should add a second female to give the male a choice. the tank is right next to them houses a pair of a. macmasteri and the male baenschi pays more attention to the female mac than he does to"his" female.

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Give them time :)

Took my trio about 6 months to grow up enough and start spawning.
The dominant couple killed off the other female, so they are rather agressive according to me.

Water pH is around 6, hardness is unknown, too low for ordinary liquid tests.

They spawn regularly every 4 weeks, with the 3rd spawn reaching around 100 free swimming fry.

Male does pretty much nothing in the whole process... The only way I know they are a pair is that no one gets killed!!

Hope it helps!

scott

5 Year Member
i have about 35 fry now. i guess that's not too bad for the first spawn. i'll be moving the fry in the next couple of days to see if they will spawn again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….