• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking questions

Dante066

Hello, I'm kinda new to to apistogramma keeping and would like to have some advices. (sorry for my butchered grammar, english is not my first language)

I had just repaired my tank that had been ignored for almost 5 years. The measurement of the tank are :
- Length :2 meter
- Height :80 cm
- Width: 80 cm

The tanks will have lots of woods, rocks, caves (made from small rocks). And currently my LFS had several apistos species ready :
- Apisto agassizii fire red
- Apisto agassizii double red
- Apisto macmisteri
- Apisto cocaktoo

The tankmates are no problem as I'm sure they can handle the apistos aggressivenes (Barbs and serpae tetra). But I also have a pair of Bolivian rams in there.

Which apisto are the best for my tank?? My mother wants me to get the double red while I actually prefer the fire red. Can i mix them as they both agassizii species?? And how many can i get? (I planned to get 1 male 3 females for boths of the fire red and double red)

Your input will be very much appreciated

Dante066

First question: do you want your apistos to reproduce in this tank or be members of a community?

Hi mike thx for the reply. Sorry for not replying for so long. My ip address got banned for some reason and just today I can open this forum...

I hope they can reproduce in the tank, but I won't interfree when the fry finally hatch (I won't be able to catch any fish due to the tank's height), but i also want them to be a centerpiece fish for the the tank's bottom..

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I doubt it will matter which species you pick since few, if any, fry will survive in a tank with those fry predators. Numbers depend on how the tank decor is set up for territories. Do a search here on the subject.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….