• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Steatocranus sp. 'Red Eye'

bassic

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I recently a group of these guys. They're pretty cute and are very active. I wanted to post on here to pick your brains on experience(s) you've had with them. This will be my first time keeping them. I currently have Steatocranus casuarius and gibbiceps and of course, these guys. Each species is unique in appearance.

The one thing I've noticed with the Red Eye was that some are significantly darker in colour then others. Does this have any meaning as far as sexual differences? I also read in Anton's book that males have a more elongated dorsal coming to a point (similar to casuarius); however, I have not noticed that with these...possibly because they're still juveniles.

Anyway, any advice/information you can provide would be extremely appreciated. I'll post photos when I can. They are still acclimating to their conditions so I wanted to wait till they look their best before posting.:)

Thanks for the time,
-duc.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cool fish. How large are they? My experience has been that color differences in Steatocranus, when they are yound, is mood dependent. As they mature the of the species you have stay darker than females, and will not show bars unless they are stresed. Females will usually show bars. All young will usually show bars.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I just received a shipment of 12 juvenile, wild-caught S. sp. Red Eye from Dave Schumacher. Great-looking fish! I hope to get a few pairs out of the group and will sell off the rest. Like Bassic, I also keep gibbiceps and casuarius. It might take the Red Eye a while to grow out, but I hope to post an update soon.

bassic

5 Year Member
I just received a shipment of 12 juvenile, wild-caught S. sp. Red Eye from Dave Schumacher. Great-looking fish! I hope to get a few pairs out of the group and will sell off the rest. Like Bassic, I also keep gibbiceps and casuarius. It might take the Red Eye a while to grow out, but I hope to post an update soon.

I got mine from David also! Everyone's still doing well and eating. I have not noticed any pair bonding behaviour yet, although two of them are clearly getting dominant. Each one is on opposite ends of the tank. All the others just kinda hang out and when any gets too close to their territory, they chase them off.

To answer your question Ted, they are still pretty small. I would guestimate, they are 2 - 2.5 inches. Some are still showing darker colours then others. The red eye intensity isn't as strong as what I have seen in literature...again, possibly because they are juveniles.

Thanks for the time,
-duc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….