• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

SPAWNING POTS!!!..... maybe

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) I cannot PROMISE anything yet, but I need to get an idea of numbers. I have talked the clay-club at shool into making some spawning pots as a fund raiser. Nothing fancy. We have decided on four basic styles:

- long trapazoidal, commonly thought of as 'pleco caves', these will be about 4-5" long and 2.5" x 1" at the opening, narrowing down its length

- bottomless flat-top dome with entry hole in side (oval). 4 inch diameter on the bottom, 3 in diameter on top, three inches tall

- my invention.. the 'shell pot'... picture piece of clay that is two inches tall and wrapped in a spiral so that the opening of the pot is created by the overlapping ends. It will have a solid top and bottom. The diameter will be about 3 inches.

Prices will be about $4 - $6 depending upon size. Remember, these are a bunch of teenagers who are learning the art, and this is a fundraiser for their club..

If you think you would be interested, just post how many you THINK you might want... I just want to give them an idea. In know that I will be commissioning at least 50 of various types anyway, but if the demand is higher we can accomodate it.

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
hey ted,

I will be interested., let say 5 to start
one sugggestion, can they make a sample of each so you can present picture here.

i will be very happy to buy some and make two beaty in one shot, make my dwarf happy :) and help this club :)

let us know

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
The sample pots are being fired this weekend. I will snap some pictures, but i do not really have a place to post them. I guess I could post them on DAAH and link from here to there...

Randall

5 Year Member
Ted's Fund Raiser

Dear Ted,

Here's a description of Randall's dream clay pots:

A ball shaped jar 3"x3" with a flat bottom and a removable lid encompassing the upper third, with a round 1" hole in the middle for easy entrance and egress. Perfect for Apistogramma and smaller cave spawning "Westies."

Also a larger version 5"x5" with an ovoid 4"x3" (4" vertically x 3" horizontally) hole capable of accomodating Chromidotilapia and Benitochromis species that like to spawn in a cavelike structure.

How about it? I'll take 6 of the former and 5 of the latter.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
I would LOVE to be able to do special orders.. but we have only been working on the styles we have chosen since I first approached the teacher in charge back in AUGUST.

The pots we are making are no too far off of your description, but without the removeable top. We might be able to make some with cut tops when we go into production.. I will let you know.

The club members are not going to throw these pots. They will be built from flat pieces or slip molded. That is how the teacher wants to do it... I think he sees this as an opportunity to hone a couple skills.

When get pictures of my over-lap opening design, I think that you will like them.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) Here are some preliminary pics of the pots. We have also made a few design changes and dimension changes. Let me know your thoughts on them, and I will go back to the clay club and make design changes. We are trying to design pots that do not have to be thrown on a wheel. That is time consuming with this club. We are working on a rounded dome that can be slip-molded.

As far as a removalble top, Randall, how do you feel about a dome that has a top that is made from the dome that is cut off in a zig-zag fashion? The top would fit on the dome, but it would not look like a lid to a cookie jar.

http://daah.info/index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=1342;start=0#lastPost

Scooter

5 Year Member
Hey Ted. I like the trapezoidal ones. I also like the flat-top ones (flattop001.jpg, flattop002.jpg), but would like them even more if you could cut the top so it could be lifted off (similar to what you describe for Randall's preference). Please let us know what the final pricing will be on these.

I do have an interest in these as they seem a good size. Thanks

Moreta

5 Year Member
I like them, especially the shell pot...and since I spent a few of my growing years at Gilbert Junior High (way way way back when) I'd love to buy some and help the kids out :D .

Tracy

Randall

5 Year Member
tjudy said:
As far as a removalble top, Randall, how do you feel about a dome that has a top that is made from the dome that is cut off in a zig-zag fashion? The top would fit on the dome, but it would not look like a lid to a cookie jar.

Hi Ted,

Just saw your question to me.

The above description sounds good to me. The ball-shaped pots in the photos look a little big, however, at 5" from left the right. I think 4" would be better.

Thanks for asking.

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Randall... THose pots in teh pics are only bisque fired. They will shrink about 1/2 - 1" when they are fired to be finished..

That being said, I think the deal is dead. The club members are just not going for it..

Sorry all... :(

Nain

5 Year Member
Spawning pots

I have been using drilled flower pots for spawning pots/caves. Pierce a hole in the side with a 1/4 inch carbide bit and carefully use needle nose pliers to flake off the hole edges until you have flaked away a 3/4 to 1 inch hole. Smooth out the edges with a rasp and metal polishing cloth. Then smooth the edges of the small hole at the flat end of the pot, but do not enlarge the hole. Set the pot upside down in the gravel and you get a mini-cave. The side hole is big enough for both the male and female to enter, but if the male gets too rough, the female can always escape out the small top hole.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….