• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

spawning eunotus!

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
after reading a few threads, i always get the urge to go look at my fish! much to my amazement, when I looked in one of my 2 eunotus tanks, I noticed both females black and yellow. nothing new, they seem to be in breeding dress more often then not. what really got me, was the male was out and about! i almost never see the big guy, but there he was, dead center of the tank. so i looked in one of the clay pot saucer caves (2 saucers glued together, hole in the middle - think of a terra cotta hamburger lol) and saw the female guarding about 50 eggs! now the other female was looking mighty fierce as well, and guarind the plastic cup on the bottom of some plastic plants. didnt think much of it, until i looked DOWN into the cup, and saw about 20 wigglers! so, my male has done the deed twice in the same week, and hopefully, i'll have some eunotus fry to rack up some breeders points! BBS is always going, but on a very small scale. wish I had a way of getting my v. eels down to the bottom. my only concern now is the tetra's in the tank. getting them out would probably disturb the whole tank balance, and i dont want to do anything to loose these fry....but i dont want them to be snacks either. when would it be safe to remove the fry into a seperate tank? BTW they're black phantom tetras

retro_gk

5 Year Member
I've removed fry from wrigglers on to raise separately. The parents usually do a very good job of protecting the fry for a week to ten days, so you could wait till then.

Alternatively, remove the pot with the female and eggs to a rearing tank. Many females will continue to look after the brood.

Bottom line is; it does not really matter if you don't raise any fry from this spawn. Learn from the experience and rack up the points later ;)

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
i need the points though! lol, they've spawned before, but the fry didnt last in the tank, it was too desnely planted to remove them and they just dissapeared. once they hit 30 days, they get verrified, grown out some more and sold, parents inlcuded. my goal is to get my master breeder award this year, so tank space is being devouted to fish I havent spawned yet successfully

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….