• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

spade-headed worms

heslipst

5 Year Member
Lately I have been having way too many parasite problems. However, while examining my heavily planted apisto tank tonight, I found small worm-like organisms crawling around on my planted driftwood. These guys are white and their front end was sort of like the shape of a spade. Does the presence of these organisms represent more bad news in my ridicuolous micro-zoological struggles?

Steve
(still trying to get rid of :evil: camallanus :evil: as well )

2la

5 Year Member
Not too much to worry about, Steve. Read this article. It does signal an overabundance of food material, however. If you really feel the need to be proactive about getting rid of them, paradise fish and blue (three-spot) gouramis will dine on them if they're short of other foods. Baensch claims SAEs will as well, but IME they don't appear to have a very big appetite for them.

Daniel L

5 Year Member
Hydra? I heard these were gladly eaten by whether gouramis or apple snails, which I prefer. Hydra will be a threat to fry as it will grab and eat them. Be carefull! Daniel L

2la

5 Year Member
No, not hydra (they're not even mentioned in the article, I don't think). Planaria. They don't attack fry but WILL make a meal of the eggs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….