• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Something different

Rod

5 Year Member
As well as apisto's I'm into small fish
I have a few species of Wild type betta...that's how I meet Jodi Lea(Fishchick) she is well known for her bettas(as well as apisto's)

This is my latest....Betta sp mahachai
Mahachai.jpg

It has just been declared a distinct species(It was often thought to be a hybrid of it's cousin Betta splendens)
It's native habitat is tidal areas near Bangkok and it is under severe pressure from development and invasive species....azolla and guppies!!!

Not many pure ones about....but Jodi has found these for me
When I'm interested in any(legal) species....I casually mention them to Jodi
and in a month or 2 she has them!!!

They have been used to breed with splendens to create new features in fancy varieties

For some reason??? I favor the wild types in all fish!!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Many dwarf cichlid enthusiasts also have an interest in wild Betta species, Horst Link and Ingo Koslowski among them. It's nice to see so many of the wild forms available now.

Gordon C. Snelling

5 Year Member
Nice looking fish, although I tend to prefer mouth brooding wild Bettas I would not mind having some for sure pure specimens of this species. I just found fry in my tank of Betta patoti this weekend. Yay.

Rod

5 Year Member
The Betta species Mahachai derives its name from a region of Thailand approximately 20 kilometers from Bangkok called Samut Sakhon, which goes by the local name of Mahachai. Parts of it have been called thaa jiin which means Chinese port due to it's once important role in trade with China. The region is heavily mangrove forest with brackish water, quite different than other areas of Thailand where other strains of bettas have originated. The water tends to be quite cloudy and as a result the Betta sp. Mahachai has developed very bright metallic scales to be seen. Anecdotal stories from Thais who have grown up around this breed say it was sometimes called plaa sang ka sii, plaa meaning "fish" and sang ka sii is galvanized metal sheeting used for roofing. The name seems to have been reflective of the species bright metallic scales.

This fish seems to me.....with pointed tail/dorsal/anal fins to be what a Siamese Fighting fish should look like!!!
Female is also very colourful and male displaying has a blue green shimmer

Not used to adding salt to water of healthy fish!!!
but it suits my current space availablity!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….