• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So, that's interesting...

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
Came down yesterday morning to something nice, but a little unusual. My maculatus spawned again, but I found the male guarding the spawn and keeping everyone away, including the female. After watching for some time, he refuses to let her anywhere near the spawn. This morning the situation is the same. He's watching them, and taking care of the spawn, so we'll see. Not much I can do since they spawned on the silicone. Never seen this with the dicrossus though.

maculatuseggs_9831.jpg

maculatusMF1_9828.jpg

maculatusMF1_9832.jpg

maculatusMF1_9834.jpg

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Very nice fish; and great photos too! That's quite interesting about the Papa being Super-Dad. I'm hoping that my fish keeping skills progress to the point that I can try some Dicrossus!:wink:

I just had some similar backwards behavior from a male Apistogramma sp. 'Masken'. He let Momma in on the brood care for the first week. After that, he chased her away so relentlessly I had to remove her from the tank. When he's swimming close to the fry the leading edges of his ventral fins turn black. When he moves off to scope-out the periphery of the tank they go light colored again.

Unfortunately my photographic skills are still seriously lacking. I do so wish I could document his color morphing in pictures.:frown: I just need tons more practice, I guess.

brad

5 Year Member
Hey Zack,

2 questions for ya.

What are your water conditions?

Is this the first time this pair has spawned together?

Wonderful pics. \congrats.

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
This is the first time this pair has spawned together. The female produced a clutch with a different male a month or so back. I moved the other male out and this previously sub-dominant male colored up. These are both F1's that were spawned from my wilds about 8-9 months ago.

Water params:

pH 3.9
Conductivity 80
Temp 80F

No real hardness. It's straight RO with a little bit of mineral reconstitution.

BTW, the male ended up eating the spawn the next day after the first post, so no earth-shattering precedents set. Still was rather odd to see at first.

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
Yeah, well, it was actually 3.82 on the meter, but who's counting. That's pretty low, even for my tanks, but they're happy as pigs in mud and spawning and producing young, so I don't worry about it. The water settled to a fairly low pH and most of the time the pH reads about 4.2-4.5, but for some reason things read low that day. The anubias take it a little hard, but no big deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….