• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

snail solution in apisto community tank?

AdamT

5 Year Member
Well, my main tank is really starting to develop a lot of snails. They're the trumpets, so they hide out during the day but man, they're all over the place as soon as the lights go out. They seem to be harming the plants a bit. So I think of some loach or another to eat 'em up, but my apistos breed in there some times and I don't want my snail eater to also be the apisto egg eater.

Will a sidthimunki or some other snail eater work out?

brad

5 Year Member
Yes that'll work and they're great fun to watch, but they'll also be egg eaters.

If they're able to breed it's because they're able to find food to eat. 99% of the time, if you're more careful with your feeding, your snail problem will all but disappear. I really have to look hard to find any now.

farm41

5 Year Member
My loaches (burma border I think) can't phase the MTS's, I put a bowl in the tank baited with cooked broccoli, and lift it out in the morning before light. You can get a lot of them in a few days.

All loaches will be tremendous egg eaters

AdamT

5 Year Member
That's what I was sorta fearing on the loaches, thx for the confirm. Bait n remove is my next idea, if I can find a bowl small enough to fit into my aquascaping. Cooked broccoli? thx for tip.

A

farm41

5 Year Member
Probably any vegetables you have on the table for dinner will work, just use the leftovers, some vegetables may have to be weighted down.

You can always use a glass if your bowls are too big.

Left C

5 Year Member
MTS have a really hard shell. There's not many fish that can eat them because of that.

They are of good use in tanks because they help to keep the substrate churned up.

When I catch some, I get my pliers and crush them one at a time. My fish really like this treat.

Here's a link about them: http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8741

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….