• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shrimp

MacZ

Can shrimp be kept with Apistos?
Depends on the shrimp in question and the Apistogramma in question. Big mouthed species with considerable size like A. cacatuoides and Neocaridina davidii will not be a good combination, while A. borellii and Neocaridina are not a problem.

Do they require the same water parameters?
Usually not. E.g. the popular Amano shrimp prefer quite hard and alkaline water, basically all Apistogramma like soft and acidic. Unless you do a basic community tank with a (foul) compromise for both sides, neither will like the ideal conditions of the other.

Levin Tilghman

5 Year Member
Depends on the shrimp in question and the Apistogramma in question. Big mouthed species with considerable size like A. cacatuoides and Neocaridina davidii will not be a good combination, while A. borellii and Neocaridina are not a problem.

Usually not. E.g. the popular Amano shrimp prefer quite hard and alkaline water, basically all Apistogramma like soft and acidic. Unless you do a basic community tank with a (foul) compromise for both sides, neither will like the ideal conditions of the other.
Thanks! Very useful information.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Amanos tolerate somewhat soft water, I kept them with apistos in 100 TDS, pH 6.8.

Tangerine Tigers prefer soft acidic water, and some keep them in blackwater.

martin_c

5 Year Member
For blackwater there's also Euryrhynchus amazoniensis.
But unfortunately it's not a species to look at, since they are nocturnal and very elusive. Even when i had them in a smaller tank for themselves, i could only see them at night with a flashlight.
I think of them as a substitute for snails in waters where those can't live, cleaning up leftovers.
Currently i have some living in the floor of this tank:

Attachments

• foto.jpg
    foto.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40

MacZ

For blackwater there's also Euryrhynchus amazoniensis.
But unfortunately it's not a species to look at, since they are nocturnal and very elusive. Even when i had them in a smaller tank for themselves, i could only see them at night with a flashlight.
I think of them as a substitute for snails in waters where those can't live, cleaning up leftovers.
Currently i have some living in the floor of this tank:
You have them? We have to talk, I think. Been trying to get them for quite some time now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….