• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

should males be removed after eggs r layed

blueblue

5 Year Member
Apisto ranch said:
I've got two frys now 1 of cockato double red and 1 of orange flash
Should the males be removed so they want eat the eggs?

Hi ranch: I have the experience that caca male will look after fry... but if you take a safety-first measure, taking away the male fish is reasonable and sound. :)

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Thank you I've been waitting for a repile on this for awhile. I got another question for you. Now I've looked on google and done asearch on all the searchs I coud find nothing about removing the male or if and this is my other question. What's the odds of the eggs mkingit if I pull them and put the ggs in fry holder that ets on the side of the tank?
Or would that allow the eggs to get fuzzing or go bad? I'm looking for all the ips i can get o make sure I get as many of the eggs o hatch and that the parents won't eat them. Any pointer will be used \.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Apisto ranch said:
Thank you I've been waitting for a repile on this for awhile. I got another question for you. Now I've looked on google and done asearch on all the searchs I coud find nothing about removing the male or if and this is my other question. What's the odds of the eggs mkingit if I pull them and put the ggs in fry holder that ets on the side of the tank?
Or would that allow the eggs to get fuzzing or go bad? I'm looking for all the ips i can get o make sure I get as many of the eggs o hatch and that the parents won't eat them. Any pointer will be used \.

I guess you want to try the artificial hatching, right?
Artificial hatching is widely adopted by the fish farms and many
commercial breeders (i did try this method but i do not like it...).

The method of artifical hatching that i used is stated as follows,
1. Prepare a small tank (about 8 liter in volume is good enough),
filled with water from the original tank.
2. Add some methylene blue into this small tank (amount:
use the dosage for preventing the growth of fungi as instructed).
The water can become deep blue, don't worry, it is normal!
3. Get the whole flask out with eggs (say, the eggs are attached
inside a flask, get the flask out, together with water.) and place the flask inside the small tank.
4. Place an air-stone, connected with air-supply into the small tank,
the bubbles should go out quite close to the opening of the flask to ensure
that there is a small current around the eggs.
5. Change 1/5 amount of water everyday.
6. In about a week time, the fry will become free-swimming and can
be fed with live bbs...

P.S.: Please try to keep the water temperature at 27 degree C. It can yield a more balanced amount of male and female F1 for most apistos...

aspen

5 Year Member
a. cacatuoides are good parents generally, it is not usually necessary to remove males. having tanks that are too small or with too much pressure from other species detracts from this trait, keeping fish in larger tanks with lots of places for multiple females to hide fry adds to this trait ime. as with anything else, ymmv with different individuals.

the nicest cac tank i've seen had a single huge male with 7 females, all keeping fry, all offspring from this male, jam packed into a a heavily planted 25 gal, with nests in every nook and cranny.

rick

blueblue

5 Year Member
Rick is right in mentioning that Caca could be good parents, both male and female. Well, if you tank has enough space and you do not aim at getting the maximum yield of F1, it is probably a good idea to let the fish go! While if you tank is small and the male fish and female fish fight from time to time... then it is probably a wise decision to separate the male fish or get the eggs out for artificial hatching... :)

aspen said:
a. cacatuoides are good parents generally, it is not usually necessary to remove males. having tanks that are too small or with too much pressure from other species detracts from this trait, keeping fish in larger tanks with lots of places for multiple females to hide fry adds to this trait ime. as with anything else, ymmv with different individuals.

the nicest cac tank i've seen had a single huge male with 7 females, all keeping fry, all offspring from this male, jam packed into a a heavily planted 25 gal, with nests in every nook and cranny.

rick

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies and help. I'm going to just leave the parents in the tank and keep my fingers croessed. So far so good with them should be wigglers by in the morning if 3 days is he rule of thumb. Also can some one please tell me what the datz book is.

I've been to barnes and nobble and they have no clue on that book or the cichlid atlas by Uwe Romer. I've found that book and am going to order it today. But I'm looking for the datz book as well. Please can some one give me the right name of that book and again thanks for all the replies and help

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
GREAT NEWS GUYS AND GALS!!!!!!!!!!!! I TURNED MY TANK LIGHTS ON THIS MORNING AND I SEEN WIGGLERS IN THE CAVES OF BOTH MY FLASH AND COCKATO!! So now the question remains will they last to the free swimming stage? As soon as I se them in the free swimming stage there out of there.

Seb

5 Year Member
They should do, but seing as it is thier first spawn, they will learn whilst looking after the fry. You can generally keep them with the parents until they are about 5/6mm and begin exploring on thier own, that way the parents will learn to be better ones aswell.

Good luck whatever you decide :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Another reason to keep fry with their mother is that they grow bigger & faster. This is because the mother signals the fry when it is safe to go out & eat. Those without mothers have a greater tendency to hide most of the time & eat less. After a couple of weeks they can be on their own.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
That is great news! My cacs are not good parents so far :( I have heard they make great parents and was hoping they would be. They layed eggs twice in a tank with some BN pleco and angels....eggs were eaten. I moved them to a 10g planted tank with only 2 small guppies....eggs have been eaten 1 if not 2x's :( I think I will remove the parents and guppies this time and see if I can do better. After that they can try till they get it right or I have more grow out space.

Roach

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Another reason to keep fry with their mother is that they grow bigger & faster. This is because the mother signals the fry when it is safe to go out & eat. Those without mothers have a greater tendency to hide most of the time & eat less....

This makes a lot of sense. I'm on my second caca spawn and pulled both parents the first time. All the fry would hide in the gravel and after 4 months they were still tiny ~1cm.
I've now left the mother with her current spawn and she guides them to the cave whenever threatened and brings them out when the coast is clear and they always go back inside fatter.
Seems like a decent mother except for the fact I had to remove the fathers corpse the other day.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
That is sad new about your male :( Glad to hear Mom and fry are doing well :) I've pulled 2 spawns of my C's and since then Mom seems to let the eggs get to wiggler stage then she comes out of the cave....ate them again today :( It is an improvement on eating the eggs the day after they are layed, but one day I hope to see her with fry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….