• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Crenicichla compressiceps

ingoberlin

5 Year Member
Hi,

I know allready the different threads in this forum but i'm not sure about sexing so far. The statements oscillate between almost not possible and stripes at the unpaired fins and a thick belly. Are there different local forms because at the most published photos the differences are very clear.
As i want to buy more to make coupling possible, i want to be sure about sexing of my two to get not 2 males. This is, i think, in a 63 g tank impossible.
My both (7 and 9 cm/ 2,75 and 3,5 inch) have stripes at the fins, but the smaller one only fainted at the tail fin and none at the other unpaired. The bigger one has very explict and drawn through stripes (it's not very clear to see at the photos). The smaller one is inferior, so the difference could be because of this, too. Both have a round belly, but it could be because of feeding, too. Are there females with explict stripings, too?
Bigger one:
[img=http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/663/crenicichlacompressiceps28ld.th.jpg]
[img=http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/6813/compressiceps14oa.th.jpg]
Smaller one:
[img=http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3763/crenicichlacompressiceps3eh.th.jpg]
[

Greeting,
Ingo (sorry for possible mistakes in my english, i'm not native speaker)

rafael

5 Year Member

ingoberlin

5 Year Member
Hi,

thank for the answers. I asked because it is often said that it is difficult to distinguish sexes, expecially at this forum. So i wasn`t sure to have male and female, although i orientated myself at this forum and the aqualog pictures when I bought them. My bigger one, where i thought he is male has very clear stripping. But he has a round belly, too.
Do you have any tips to "help" them by pairing. The only breeding report i know is in danish. I have only this two ones and it is difficult to get more for me to give the male one more possibilities. But i try.

Greetings,
Ingo

Z Man

5 Year Member
C. compressiceps is one of the more difficult dwarf pikes to spawn. You just have to wait until they feel like breeding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….