• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sex differences gossei

cageman

5 Year Member
hi there,

currently I have a fifteen young Ap. gossei swimming.
I bought them together with the parents.
they are about 3cm/1,2 " and should show their sexes right now.
however I can't tell them apart since both male and female show black ventral fins. are there by any chance other characteristics that separate male and female? they don't show much colouration yet. some do have more colours on their gills.
could I have all males or all females?
and what should I do to make sure this doesn't happen to my own nests?
lower ph and or temperature?

thanks for any help,

cageman

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are still a bit too small for sexing. Males usually have more blue on their gill covers. Females usually have no red on the gill covers (many males do not have red). Breed your adults at 26º and raise the fry at this temperature for the first 2 months. The sex ratios should be about 50/50.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….