• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setup Question.

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
I have a trio of A. MacMasteri. Been planning a tank for em for a while. Right now their in a community tank that I've been working on dividing up. Well I got em a good sized tank and am setting it up this week.

Heres the plan. 30gal breeder. I got sand, mopani wood, java fern, anubias, some grassy stuff and a few nice caves for em. I'm planning on adding my group of gertrude's blue eye(Pseudomagil Gertudae) rainbows as dithers since the Mac's are used to them and they generally stay around the surface of the water. I'm considering adding my pair of bristlenose placos to the tank, but I dont know if this is a good idea.

The BN breed every 3 to 4 weeks about 2 days after their regular once weekly water change. I'm worried mainly about the fry. Can I leave them in the tank or should I collect them before they leave the spawing cave and after their yolk sacs are mostly absorbed. The rainbow's eggs I can just harvest every morning after they spawn so I'm not too worried about those. Anyone have any feedback on this one?

Thanks,

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You might have some territorial problems between the apistos & plecos - both wanting the same breeding caves. Apistos will eat fry of other species if they get the chance, so I suggest you remove them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenSet

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(