• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Search scientific documents and translation of Article Mike Wise

FIL

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm looking for scientists documents that could help me to better identify the species of Apistogramma. Would it be possible also to translate in french the article of Mike Wise : A DESCRIPTION OF SPECIES-GROUPS Apistogramma? If not, what are the requirements to do so.

Thank you in advance

Nicolas

regani

5 Year Member
A good entry into scientific literature is via Google Scholar. You can do searches the same as in Google, e.g. search 'Apistogramma' or a specific species you are interested in, but there will be a focus on scientific literature.
The problem will be that for a lot of the scientific literature the full article will only be available if you have a subscription, so you won't be able to access them from home. If you do your searches from a Uni library computer, you should be able to get access to the majority of articles (depending on which subscriptions the Uni holds). You can also ask the librarians for help, they are experts at finding things and usually quite happy to help....

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nicolas, thanks for the interest in this article. First, I must say that this is not a true published, scientific (juried by peers) paper, so I doubt that it is listed on Google Scholar. You can find an English copy on line at Tom Christoffersen's web site: http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?PageId=116. Feel free to translate it into French for yourself or any free hobby site. My only wish is that it not be sold for profit. As for other scientific papers, regani's suggestion is probably the best. Many university libraries will be able to get them for you. My personal library has most of the original descriptions. I needed about 30 years to find them. They are useful - if you have an understanding of taxonomy. Otherwise, hobby related literature is more useful.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….