• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ruby Green Dwarf cichlid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishsticks

5 Year Member
Does anyone have any experience with Ruby Green dwarf cichlids? I'm getting two pairs for a 55 gallon. I wanted to check and see if anyone has any experience with these fish.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hmmm... the only 'ruby green' I am familair with is a Lake Victorian cichlid. So you know the specific name of the fish?

viejo

5 Year Member
Probably he is referring to the Bolivian Ram. The ones from the far East are usually labeled / shipped as 'ruby clown cichlid' ( & they are sort of 'greenish' :rolleyes: ).

Fishsticks

5 Year Member
Probably he is referring to the Bolivian Ram. The ones from the far East are usually labeled / shipped as 'ruby clown cichlid' ( & they are sort of 'greenish' :rolleyes: ).

I don't know why you would roll your eyes at me. Your response was far more ignorant than my question. The other poster is on target.

Haplochromis sp. 'ruby green'

http://www.african-cichlid.com/RubyGreen.htm

Does that look like a Bolivian Ram to you?

:confused:

ste12000

5 Year Member
Fishsticks this is the problem with using common names..They do not relate to any specific species and confussion can and does arise, i am sure viejo was not being cocky..Just trying to help you.
You have posted your question on a forum that concentrates on south American and west African soft water dwarf cichlids..It is not a wonder that he guessed at a Bolivian Ram..

Fishsticks

5 Year Member
Fishsticks this is the problem with using common names..They do not relate to any specific species and confussion can and does arise, i am sure viejo was not being cocky..Just trying to help you.
You have posted your question on a forum that concentrates on south American and west African soft water dwarf cichlids..It is not a wonder that he guessed at a Bolivian Ram..

I guess I was thrown off by the forum title of General Dwarf Cichlids. Either way, the rolling eyes icon and suggestion that I can't tell a the difference between a Ruby Green and a Bolivian Ram isn't really helpful in any way. I do know more about fish than to identify them as "kinda green." All it takes is to google Ruby Green Cichlid and one pops up. I have a local aquarium club that is helpful, but I wanted to try and reach beyond that to see if anyone else has had any experiences with this fish. You can defend Viejo all you want, but its a weak move to criticize others especially when it turns out that you know less than the person you are rolling your eyes at.

viejo

5 Year Member
Ok then, I will... 'Lighten up Fishsticks!'. I wasn't 'rolling my eyes' at you but at the fact that common names are pretty nebulous @ best. As you referred to the fish in question as a dwarf it was a logical assumption that it could be ALTISPINOSA.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Everyone step back and take a deep breath. Common names are just that, common names and can lead to blind guessing. No harm, no foul. No one is trying to one up or belittle anyone here. The I.D. of the fish has been clarified: "Haplichromis" sp. "Ruby Green". If there are questions to be asked on the fish please post them in this forum: http://forum.apistogramma.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

If there are some pictures to share (and hopefully there are) please post hem here:
http://forum.apistogramma.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

This thread is now closed.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….