• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RO unit

beleg

5 Year Member
Hey people,
Well to solve my hardness problems i plan to invest in a RO unit with DI. Its quite impossible for me to buy one locally cause the prices are really high (600-700$).

I searched online for RO units and prices are really variable. The brand Ted recommends in his superb article is quite expensive, as is the ones sold in Germany (which i often go).

Recently i read in a members post in the forum a brand called RO-Man from UK and their prices seem very cheap although their membranes seem of higher rejection rates (%97-99) they recommend 5micron sediment filters.. such a 4 stage filter costs less than 200$..

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/257

I got a friend coming over frm UK in a month or so and this is ridiculously cheap compared to the prices here. Any one got good or bad comments?

Thanks

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've got a 50gpd unit from them and it's superb. I'd definitely recommend them. Even the replacement pre-filters are well-priced.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Looks good to me. Just be certain that it comes with the correct R/O membrane for your water. One type resists damage from chlorine in municipal water, while another is not (designed for personal non-chlorinated water wells).

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Actually the CTA membrane NEEDS chlorine as it is an organic membrane and will start to grow bacteria and fall apart without the chlorine present in the source water.

Jeff

beleg

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the input..

Jeff & Mike isn't the Active Carbon placed before the membrane a chlorine remover? All the R-O units I've seen place Active Carbon block/granules in front of the membrane to protect it from damage of Chlorine and other heavy metals...

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The carbon is post membrane on a CTA unit. CTA's are less comon then TFC or Hi-S membranes. The CTA removal rate is around 70% where the TFC and Hi-S are in the mid 90's. The CTA is a less expensive choice compared to the other membranes, but you don't get the same quality of water either.

Jeff

beleg

5 Year Member
Cool. Thanks Ed. I'll be ordering a 75 or 100 gpd unit (although i don't need the capacity for now the price difference is unimportant) , 2-3 carbon replacements , 2-3 sediment replacements and 5 lt DI resin.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyiahib

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….