• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RO unit startup

mordor

5 Year Member
I have bought RO unit and I am little bit confused with water parameters I received. It seem that conductivity is quite low in coparison to tap water. I used formula given by SpectraPure I got 88% rejection rate (should be 98% for new unit I guess). The another thing that does not seem to be right is pH. My tap water is 8.6 and water from RO unit is 7.3. I was hoping to get lower pH, is my line preasure too low?

Charlotte

5 Year Member
One idea... There should be instructions for saturating the membrane before you start. Have you done that already?

Neil

Charlotte might have a point here. The membrane might have to be broken in a little before it is up to par. Are you ariating the RO water before testing? That will drive the pH up quickly without any buffering.

mordor

5 Year Member
I did more gallons since then and I got completely different results now:
- directly from RO unit: pH 3-4, conductivity 100uS, TDS 60
- after 8 hours: pH 5.5, 60uS, TDS 40
- after 2 days: pH 6, 40uS, TDS <10

It seems that RO water with no buffering capacity (KH) absorbs CO2 from air lake crazy so I may have strange TDS reading if I got water directly from unit. After while CO2 vaporises and pH is going higher while TDS is going lower.

aspen

5 Year Member
mordor, are you measuring r/o with a digital ph meter? read the instructions, most won't work properly on water that is so soft. disregard the ph reading until your reconstitute it.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….