• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

rio japura

patrick1

5 Year Member
hello dear apisto friends

i want to ask to you witch dwarfcichlids life in the rio japura (amazonas it's by TEFÉ
i want to know this becaus ea friend of mine wants to make a japura biotop aquarium

best regards
patrick de laat

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Rio Japurá isn't collected much, especially farther upstream. Species that I know that come from this river include A. agassizii, A. bitaeniata, A. cf. pertensis, & possibly A. cacatuoides. In the Colombian part of this river (called the Rio Caquetá) only A. sp. Rotpunk/Red-spot is known from the upper headwaters. I doubt that they will be found in the lower reaches, however. Other possible species I wouldn't be surprised to see from this river include A. sp. Gelbwangen/Yellow-cheeks, A. hippolytae, & Taeniacara candidi. A. juruensis does not come from the Japurá; it is from the Rio Juruá

Rolo

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
In the Colombian part of this river (called the Rio Caquetá) only A. sp. Rotpunk/Red-spot is known from the upper headwaters.

Hi Mike,

Is it possible, that you don't know, that meanwhile the Ap. sp. "Rotpunkt" is described as A. alacrina (Ichthyol. Explor. Freswaters, Vol. 15, March 2004) by Kullander? 8O

But Kullanders description met with a lot of criticism, because there are no pictures of living specimen or informations about common names in aquaristic (even though it's a well known form), so it's difficult to say, which form of the Rotpunkt group is exactely described (especially because of not exactly known localities of Rotpunkt forms). Koslowski separated these forms, but now they are joined in one species.

greetings,
Rolo

patrick1

5 Year Member
i have brainstormd
and i think that apistogramma elizabethea also coms out of river rio japura but thats only a wild thougt.

thx for the information!

apistogramma juruensis is out river juruá

greeting
patrick

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Patrick

patrick1 said:
i think that apistogramma elizabethea also coms out of river rio japura but thats only a wild thougt.

A. elizabethae is from tributaries of the Rio Uaupes.

greetings,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rolo,

The original A. sp. Rotpunkt first introduced into the hobby by Kullander in 1974, if I remember correctly, is not included on the list of type material. I believe that wild caught specimens of this form are available in museum collections & could be included, but were not used for some reason. This Rotpunkt form also has black markings that are subtly different from those described for A. alacrina (both the holotype & paratypes). Perhaps this is why Dr. Kullander did not use them. Therefore, I prefer to keep A. sp. Rotpunk/Schwarzsaum/Puerto Nariño separate from A. alacrina at this time.

I am one of the many who have problems with Dr. Kullander's description. Some of his diagnostic features do not appear on the material collected with the holotype from the Guaviare system. They only are seen on paratypes from the Rio Orteguaza (= A. sp. Rotpunk Ortequaza in Koslowski 2002 & Aqualog's SACII as A. sp. Red-point I). Other features are seen only on the holotype form and do not appear on the Orteguaza paratypes. The two collecting localities belong to 2 different river systems, indicating that population isolation presently exists. I fear that Dr. Kullander has mixed 2 closely related forms together and that no fish from the wild will show all of the diagnostic features described in the paper.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

these are quite interesting informations. Thank you.
I talked to Frank Schäfer a few weeks ago, who published an article about this description. He told me, that all these Rotpunkt forms have to be called A. alacrina. As far as I know (and as Volker Bohnet told me) is the type location of the original A. sp. Rotpunkt unknown, so it's impossible to separate or mix these forms clearly without pictures of living A. alacrina. Anyway, Frank also told me, that the "original" A. alacrina is the Caqueta form, but if I read the description correctly, the Caqueta form ist just a paratype and the holotype is from Rio Guaviare/Rio Ariari. So I'm a bit confused... maybe I misunderstood him.
Did you asked Ingo for his opinion? (or does he not want to know anything about Apistos any longer? *g*)

greetings,
Rolo

patrick1

5 Year Member
are there any more species of dwarfcichlids out the rio japura then only a. rotpunkt?>

other species then apistogramma maybe?> nanacara, laetacara< someone ?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….