• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

questions on tank setup

C

christo420

hi, i just bought a 90 gal tank about 3 weeks ago, i also ordered 2m & 4f
A. cacatuoides (triple red), and 1m & 2f of A.trifasciata (blue). from david soares. the tank does not have live plants, but i have a lot of plastic ones in there with some drift wood and plastic "stumps" with alot of holes. does this sound like enough "territories" for the amount of males in the tank? i have alot of filtration (1000gal per hour) and the tank has been running with a plecos and a female A.cacatuoides for 3 weeks +/- for cycling.
how does this sound??
any input would be great

thanks,
chris

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Chris,

How long is your 90 gallon?

You are probably pushing the limits for Apistos. But you're probably getting small adults, so it should be OK for a while anyhow. You'll need to keep an eye on them.

I'm not sure about your trifasciata, as they are a smaller, gentler apisto. You'll want to keep a close eye on them. If you find you need to remove them, a trio of trifasciata should do OK in a 10 gallon.

2m & 4f cacs would probably work out fine in a 90 gallon. You'll probably find that one of the males will hang out in the background much of the time. There should be enough space for the extra male to avoid the dominant male.

Michael

Randall

5 Year Member
Apistogramma spp. in a 90-gallon tank

Dear Chris,

Given the size of your tank, you shouldn't have any problems. As Michael suggests, however, it might be a good idea to keep a close eye on your fish as they mature.

Adding some dither fish (tetras, pencil fish, etc.) will help make your Apistogramma spp. feel more secure and diffuse aggression. Also, adding some caves (coconut shells, clay flower pots, etc.) will enable your females to stake out breeding territories. The caves should be placed about 18' from each other to allow each female some space.

Yours is a very nice selection of fish! Good going and enjoy!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Neil

christo420,

IMO there will be little problem with the tank size and the fish that you have chosen, but, I too, suggest careful monitoring. However, I would feel uncomfortable about cycling my tank with an Apistogramma. It will probably be OK, but they are not the best choice for this. Your tank has not been up long enough to truely see any adverse affects yet, so keep your eyes open for that too!
One other thing. 1000gph filtration in a 90g is more appropriate for a reef tank than an apisto tank. That is quite a bit of water movement. Try to insure that there are parts of the tank that have reduced current. Both of the species that you have chosen are not particularly happy in a strong current.

Good luck,
Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldMouck

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….