• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about pairing apistogramma

aarhud

5 Year Member
Hello,

For those of you that have bred the Apistogramma that tend to pair off instead of forming harems, what is the pair relationship like?

Are pairing Apistogramma similar to Pelvicachromis where the female sticks close to the cave/eggs/fry and the male guards the perimeter? Is there any role swapping such as the male fanning the eggs? Just trying to get a feel for how a pairing Apistogramma works, from youtube videos the pairs do not seem to work together like other pairing fish.

Thanks,
Aaron

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Depends on the species I suppose. Both color forms of agassizi's that I have - the male doesn't do much more than patrol the area. Wouldn't say he even chases anything away; of course, there aren't any other apistos in their tank - just neon tetras. The eunotus that I have, the male can be pretty aggressive towards the neons...but not so much as to cause any damage. Have never noticed a male of any species that I have tending towards the eggs or fry. Mostly he just tries to stay away from the female!

aarhud

5 Year Member
Yes it depends greatly on the species. From reading posts from Mike Wise and doing a little reading there are some groups that tend to form pairs more often. I have never kept the pairing types.

What I am trying to figure out is the behavior of a pairing Apistogramma any different than the more polygamous species.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For the most part, breeding/care of eggs/fry behavior is the same in both pair and polygamous species: male patrols a large territory; female takes care of the eggs/fry in a smaller territory, within the male's territory. Courtship is a little different. The male will usually select 1 female and drive all other females (and males) out of his territory.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Alright, that's sort of what I was imagining. I think I would be more interested in Pelvicachromis since I am after a pairing dwarf.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(