• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Potassium

noddin0ff

5 Year Member
Can anybody tell me what the appropriate levels (mg/L or % wt/vol) of potassium is generally used as fertilizer in a planted aquarium and what form the Potassium is supplied in? I work in a molecular biology lab and would like to make my own fertilizer for my tank. Any recipies? Thanks,

noddin

O

Oldsan

These change a litlte according to the fashion of the day and the person you ask, but generally the following concentrations seem to be most recommended by the "plant gurus":

NO3: 10 - 25 ppm
PO4: 0.5 - 2.0 ppm
K+: 10 - 30 ppm
Fe: 0.1 - 0.5 ppm (assuming you're using a standard chelated trace mix, this level will assure the other trace elements are correct as well)

Ca/Mg: don't know, but a GH of 3 or more degrees is commonly recommended

CO2: 15 - 30 ppm is considered optimal (lower light = lower value, higher light = higher value), but plenty of plants will continue to grow with lower levels than this obviously. Co2 higher than 30 might hurt fish and there is some talk that plants don't take up more CO2 with higher concentrations anyway.

With low light non-Co2-injected tanks you aim for the same concentrations but you have to dose much less frequently.

O

Oldsan

I've kept cacatuoides, borelli, and most recently agassizii in tanks with a relatively constant NO3 level of 10 ppm, occasionally higher. Most lived long healthy lives and produced many fry. I'm not an apisto expert by any stretch, but I have noticed over the years without exception that fish do well when plants do well.

noddin0ff

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. Seems K2S04 is the way to go. How do you determing ppm of K? Should I worry about it or just dose conservatively and see how it goes?

edit: when I ask how do you determine ppm of K, I don't mean how do you determine how much you add, I mean how do you determine what the existing levels are. Or can you assume that it gets consumed if not added? Where does the SO4 go?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….