• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pls help to id apisto

Fisherking

5 Year Member
Hi, the two photos are not of the same spices. The one you say is the male is probebly apistogramma meniken and the female is gibbiceps.

Melvin_Lim

5 Year Member
thanks fisherking.
i think you are right about the second pic being a female gibbiceps.
as for the 1st pic, can't find any info on the net about meniken.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My bet is that your "female" will develop a lyretail & slighly extended front dorsal spines. In other words, I think that it is a young male A. gibbiceps. The male probably is not the true A. meinkeni (a very rare fish, even in the wild). It is more likely that it is A. cf. pertensis (a.k.a. A. cf. meinkeni). The real A. meinkeni is very small (<5 cm/2"), and also shows a well-marked spot (on Bar 2) in front of the lateral spot and an anal patch. These are not seen on A. cf. pertensis. Neither are seen on the photos, but this doen not mean that they are not present. More photos will be needed to be sure.

Mike Wise

Melvin_Lim

5 Year Member
thanks Mike

if they happen to be both males, they would fit nicely into my planned com tank :D

will keep an eye on the aggression and post updated pics once they get bigger and coloured up for better id.

cheers
melvin

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have another guess... th first one could also be a dwarf form from the A. pertensis relationship. How big is this species?

Linke & Staeck (1997) introduce a species, called A. sp. "Maniapure". If I look at the pictures in Koslowskis book, I think, it's quite more similar to this than A. cf. pertensis/meinkeni.
But I do not know anything about this species, wether they are imported often or not and I never saw living specimen.

...so just a guess. Any comments?

greetings,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have had A. inornata (= A. sp. Maniapure, & A. sp. Piacoa in the USA) in the past. The fish in question is not A. inornata. A. inornata has a less distinctly bordered caudal spot, which extends into the tail fin. The fish pictured here has a well defined roundish spot that remains on the caudal peduncle, more like that on A. cf. pertensis. A. inornata is not collected commercially that I know about. My stock came from a hobbyist who collected them about 5 years ago near Piacoa, Venezuela. I'm not positive that the fish pictured is A. cf. pertensis, but this is more likely because it is commerically collected throughout the lower Amazon.

Mike Wise

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

*oops* .. sorry for ignoring Staecks new description of A. inornata... my fault. (...new description - old brain :oops: )

I agree, that it is no A. inornata, especially because of the caudal spot. Unfortunately this couldn't be seen well in the first picture.

greetings,
Rolo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….