• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help me sex apistogramma agassizi + can they live together?

Argenis

Hello,

Earlier this week I got a pair of apistogramma agassizi for my planted 16 gal. I am not new to fish keeping but I am new to apistos, which explains this being my first post.

Can someone please help me confirm I have a male/female pair? I suspect I may have a sub dominant male.

Also, the smaller of the two fish is getting harassed by the bigger fish forcing “her” to get away and hide behind cover. Today I saw it get so bad “she” lost most of her colors momentarily (first time I seen it happen with these two fish)and became very dark (this is when I started taking the pics below). Then, moments later she colored right back up and was following the male as he was swimming away (but not attacking). Can I keep this going or should I remove this fish immediately? I would love to keep them as a pair or at worst at another female if this would distribute the violence.

IMG_6524.jpeg
IMG_6513.jpeg
IMG_6521.jpeg

IMG_6511.jpeg
IMG_6519.jpeg
IMG_6517.jpeg
IMG_6515.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6500.jpeg
    IMG_6500.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6524.jpeg
    IMG_6524.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

MacZ

First of all I'm pretty sure you have two males Secondly, a tank that size is ok for a single showstopper male. But not for a "pair" unless it's a dedicated breeding tank and you have the option to separate the fish at any given time. Most species of Apistogramma don't form true pairs, not even for a single spawn, instead the male only tolerates females either ready to breed or already brooding. And on the other hand females also often do not tolerate the male in the vicinity.
I'd return/rehome one if them and 8nstead maybe get a group of Nannostomus marginatus or Hyphessobrycon amandae snd run the tank as a small display.

Argenis

Thank you for the reply. Curious, what gives him away as a male? Asking so I know for the future. I think most likely I will remove the less colorful one and just keep the tank as is. I already have a small school of CPD

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Female A. agassizii rarely show a black stripe running through the middle of the caudal. Your smaller fish might be a female. Body shape is more female-like. That being said she might not be ready to breed. The male is only interested in females in his territory (this smallish tank) only if she is ready to spawn. If not he will try to drive her out of his territory (this smallish tank) in hopes that a more receptive female will appear.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carsonbd

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(