• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please confirm Pertensis or cf. Pertensis

Mpaw

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm another apistomaniac from Poland,
we bought (I, K-Pon and few aquarist) fish named A.Pertensis - information exporter from Brasil: Apistogramma Pertence Madeira ???.
Please identification Pertensis or cf.Pertensis

Male:

Female with fry

Sorry, but my english is poor.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is difficult to identify from your photos. I need a photo of the male that is shot directly from the side. Your photo is shot slightly from the top, which makes the fish appear more slender than it probably is. If this is true - and the fish is not as slender and cylindrical as it appears in the photo - then you probably have A. cf. pertensis.

The type A. pertensis has a body cross-section that is more round "0". A. cf. pertenis is more flat "()".

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I think your chance are pretty good you have A. pertensis.
I've only had the pleasure of keeping them once when I spotted 3 1.5 cm long juveniles among a newly imported load of 1000 Cardinal Tetras and they grew out to be a reverse trio identical to your fish.
There is margin for error since similar appearing species are also imported.
Are yours wild? I ask because if they are tank raised, I am even more inclined to think they are true pertensis. So many Apistogramma species are bred commercially in your part of the world that bred fish will have been scrutinized by many experienced people and I think that increases the chances of a proper identification having already been made.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….