• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

peat extract

cardinal

5 Year Member
I find indian almond leaves better and cheaper

or you could try KENTS black water extract

but im still learning so maybe someone else could give you better info

thanks
cardinal

koty

5 Year Member
can someone tell me the right amount of peat extract to be added to a 25l\7g tank?
thank you!
As for many good question, there is no definitive answer.
The peat is made from very complex and diverse set of molecules so there is no real quantitative way to tell how much is in any type of water from any source.
What kind of extract do you have?
The general rule is that the water should have a brownish tint.
Koty

cardinal

5 Year Member
where do you get your almond leaf from?

Biddulph Aquatics

they have a shop on EBAY

thanks
cardinal

koty

5 Year Member
thank you cardinal.
and koty.. the water parameters of the peat extract are: ph-3.94 ec-1286 tds-643

how did you make the extract?
There are three basic methods:
1. filter R/O water through peat
2. Boil R/O water with peat
3. Boil R/O water with peat and add a little bit baking soda NaHCO3 ! (My little trick to make a long lasting concentrated extract to last long despite extensive water changes)
With the 3rd one you get a real concentrated extract but you lose the immediate effect of pH reduction. But with time if you use it with 100% R/O the pH stabilizes on 4.7-5.2 ! without the need of using acids!!!

koty

5 Year Member
thanks koty, can you explain a little bit more about the third one? and how does it stabilizes the pH?

The peat is made from what is called weak acids. The baking soda which is a weak base "helps" to ionize the acids which gets them in the water.
Every time you add the extract to the aquarium, depending on the pH, some of the humic acids precipitate (go out of the water as solid particles). THese particles act as a buffering agents. When the pH rises or when carbonate iones are introduced (KH) they go back into the solution and lower it again. Of course a lot of it is theory based on knowledge, some observations and experience. I have been using this system for almost three years now.

Few images to show the complexity of peat acids:
FulvicAcid.gif

molecule.jpg

koty

5 Year Member
and how much baking soda do you add?

To make 1-1.5 liter, I fill a pressure cooker with peat up to 2 3rds and add 1.5-2 liter R/O water. to that I add 1flat spoon of pure baking soda (not baking powder!)
I use a pressure cooker to get some sterilization effect and better extraction efficiency
Koty

STOKER

5 Year Member
Pear Extract

Have kept killiefish for 30 years and they are all kept in peaty water ,there are two ways that I use.
1 If you can get hold of some peat blocks the type that are used for fuel , they are dug in Scotland in the summer dried and used as fuel in the winter . I got a few about 20 years ago and put them in a 45gall (250ltr) plastic drum ,filled with water and just use that as required thats the easy way.
2 Peat water isacid (not very strong ) but still acid so if you use the boiling method use a pot that will not be affected by this water stainless steel is best if you can get (borrow) one as the water will stain the pot.
Half fill with peat and cover with water ,boil for about 15 mins. then strain off the water refill and repeat a couple of times, dump the water each time its a bit strong and fish don`t really like it. Dump the boiled peat in a drum fill with water and use as required , the water should be a pale tea colour if it isn`t just boil more peat and add to drum.

IMPORTANT NOTE DO NOT USE GARDEN PEAT AS IT MAY CONTAIN FERTILIZER AND ALL KINDS OF OTHER NASTIES

Stoker :) :)

STOKER

5 Year Member
No not really just mentioned that the blocks will last for years in fact they floated for about 6 mmonths but still did the job.
If you can get a few just put them in a drum and fill with water leave it for a couple of days and its ready to use,the blocks will not break up even after a few years,after all a peat bog is still there even after a few thousand years and its soaking wet.

stoker :) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenSet

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(