• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peat as a Substrate?

vail94

5 Year Member
Does anyone have experience with paet as a substrate i currenttly have a thirty gallon tank that i am try this out in and the sponge filters that i am using appear to attract a lot of peat particles. Is a 30 gallon big enough for one male Orange Flash and 2 females and 3 blue rams? If you have any suggeations on peat as a substrate please let me know.:rolleyes:

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
As a Killiefish breeder I have experience with peat substrate. There isn't anything that will keep it from sticking to the sponge filter but that will not diminish the filter's usefulness.

I think it is something many Apistos could deal with but I don't think rams would be happy trying to breed in it. Then again if there are some smooth rocks available they may manage to spawn just fine. I think rams are likely to eat their own eggs regardless of the type of substrate you use.

Do you plan on a peat only or peat over sand arrangement? I would think peat over sand would be closer to the conditions natural for Apistogramma and would allow them to dig and keep clean the night time bedding pits for the fry.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillberg

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(