• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peaceful Apistos...

C

Cypherman

I'm new to dwarf cichlids, and I'm looking for a peaceful apistogramma species to start a small (6 fish or so) colony with in my planted 75 gallon with the following fish:

12 Cardinal tetras
10 Celebes Rainbowfish
12 Dwarf Rasbora
8 Fancy Guppies
10 Bumblebee Gobies
An assortment of otocinclus (lost count lol), 2 bushynose plecos, 1 rhino, and 1 royal pleco.

I'm worried about the Dwarf Rasbora b/c they max out at about an inch. Are apistos generally predatory? My three favorite species are Apistograma vieja, borellii, and biataenia. Are any of these three suitable? If not, then what are? Thanks a lot. I also have some ghost shrimp, but I'm betting they will be apisto food, which is ok as long as they dont bother the other fish....

Discus Man

5 Year Member
three votes for borelli.
I have come to the conclusion that only one male survives per tank with bitaeniata.
with borelli I would say two males four females.

Would rethink the gobies... too similar in size, and area of the tank.

Neil

Cypherman,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Are apistos generally predatory?

No (UNLESS YOU ASK ASPEN! :) ) They usually will pick off fry from other species, but not community tankmates. They do sometimes get rough when spawning.

My three favorite species are Apistograma vieja, borellii, and biataenia. Are any of these three suitable?

Depends on your water parms. Both viejita and bitaeniata require soft and more acidic water to do well and inevitably spawn, if that is your goal.

I also have some ghost shrimp, but I'm betting they will be apisto food, which is ok as long as they dont bother the other fish....

I doubt it, unless they are very small. If you feed apistos well, they are no likely to eat much of any other tankmate. Most are pretty small themselves.

I tend to agree on the borellii. It is a great beginning apisto. It has the color, behavior and manners that you would likely want for a community setting. And you won't have to alter your water as much as you would with the other species that you mentioned.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….