• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panduro pair?

antwan

5 Year Member
Hey there, my local fish shop just got in a few panduro's. I grabbed a female and the one that looks most like a male, but I'm not really sure if it is.

Here they are:
PA120016.jpg

Hopeful male

PA120034.jpg

female

Thanks in advance.

lab

5 Year Member
The top fish is a male, but the other one I'm not sure of. It looks to be a juvenile fish and doesn't show to much colour in the photo. I don't even see the red/orange band in the tail.
If they just got in, you should give them some time. When they show non-stress colour they should be easy to tell apart.

good luck,

Lars

AdamT

5 Year Member
Look out! I tried panduros for a while, but my male kept killing females. Eventually he went back to the store. I dunno if they're generally violent toward each other (mine were in a planted 30ga), or if I just got the psycho one.

Adam

KenL

5 Year Member
I'm not so sure from the pic of the "male" as it has pretty black pelvic fins. Does it have black on the underside of the body too?

Any chance of some more pics?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that these fish are too young/small to positively sex right now. Males will have extended ventral fins with red/orange tips. The female has blunter ventral fins with black front edge.

lab

5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the top fish is male. It shows the light blue colour in the tail and also in the dorsal that females will not (on the inside of the orange band).
The black in the ventrals and on the belley is because of it's young age. It will disappear soon.

Lars

KenL

5 Year Member
The bright margin on the "male" does make it look more male. I don't think a female would ever show that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….