• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panduro male or female?

Jacco

Hi,
I just bought these panduro's. I think they are all female, but I'm not sure. Can anybody help me out?
thx.

DSCN3999.JPG

DSCN3991.JPG

Jacco

the small ones are 3-4 cm, the larger one is 1 cm larger i'd say. Thx for the replies :)
what are the caracteristics how to tell both sexes appart when they are not fully grown. My shop keeper has trouble providing me females AND males.... :)

3ze

5 Year Member
The females should grow a bit bigger (up to 6 cm), the males up to 8 cm.
If they are young, all apisto's are very difficult to sexe...
The black spot on the belly is typical female.
Males also have a blue-isch shine in their fins.

Jacco

The fish on the left and the first phota has no black on the bottum of the belly... is this still a female?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are just too small/young to sex easily. Some experienced breeders are able to sex fish this size after years of breeding and raising a species, but most (like me) have a hard time explaining the differences. It is more instinct and then not 100% accurate. If I were you I would buy more than a pair. I would look for a couple of specimens with a smaller flank patch that tended to be the dominant fish in the tank - and then hope they becomes males.

Thegundog

The images are two of six Panduro's I picked up recently which gives you an idea of the differences in appearance male/female.

My male is approx. 1 1/2"

Of my six I have a very small fish (probably 1/2 "- 3/4") with no black on the sides, belly or pelvic/ventral fins at all. The fish, even though it is young and small, is very similiar to the male in my images. I'm definetly no expert but I think you probably have three females.

DSC00190_zps2208a36a.jpg

DSC00186_zps799c001f.jpg
DSC00182_zps394ad1ca.jpg

Jacco

thx all, it's obvious i have females. So i bought some obvious males at a different store with larger panduro's.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I think you were fortunate to have ended up with three females because males often out number females so you should be able to get more males thus have many pairs to work with.

There is a lot of variability with regard to the side spot pattern among A. panduro and A. nissenji.
Including some having the spot showing on only one side. It isn't typical but it isn't rare either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….