• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pair of Apistogramma in 20 g high?

Jessail

Greetings
I would like to get a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides. Would it be possible in a 20 gallons high (24" x 12" x 16") planted aquarium?
If yes, would you house them alone or with other fish?
Here is a picture of the setup. It’s currently a 10 gallons but will transfert everything in my 20 this weekend. Thank you!
76AC0C4A-71F4-4695-AB22-18D1BE9608BC.jpeg

hengeli

5 Year Member
Tank looks good with your choice of plants, if you were to get Cacatuoides the new tank would be perfect, I did a quick calculation and its ideal for a pair of apistogramma. Only other fish I would add are some dither fish - to give the pair of apisto bit more confidence so they won't hide all day. Not only can the dithers encourage the apistos to forage in the sand, they eat the leftovers so there are no leftovers to net.

I like to use rasbora maculatas personally but feel free to add a small school(6-8) of them or endler guppies and the tank should be fine. If you ask me, I would not add rocks to the new tank as most rocks leach and may drive your ph up. Driftwood is ideal as tank decoration and also serves the fish a place to hide or breed.

MacZ

I did a quick calculation and its ideal for a pair of apistogramma
What calculation?

Anyhow, a 80 liter high with 60x30cm footprint has to be structured well, so the fish can evade each other. Otherwise a second tank to separate them at any point would be a necessity. If the tank is not dedicated for breeding, I would only stock a single male.

Jessail

What calculation?

Anyhow, a 80 liter high with 60x30cm footprint has to be structured well, so the fish can evade each other. Otherwise a second tank to separate them at any point would be a necessity. If the tank is not dedicated for breeding, I would only stock a single male.
I do not aim to breed them, but from what I read, their behavior is more interesting as a pair.
Here is a picture of my tank. It’s a 10 but will be upgraded to a 20 long and I will add 2 caves (one on each side)

Attachments

• 44C96C6C-F478-4A3C-AE72-14192A40E1CE.jpeg
    44C96C6C-F478-4A3C-AE72-14192A40E1CE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 112

MacZ

I do not aim to breed them, but from what I read, their behavior is more interesting as a pair.
Generally true, but in a too small tank with too little structure this might tilt into a neverending stress situation. Males chase females that are not ready to mate relentlessly. Caves are not to be considered structure. It really takes driftwood and rocks to break lines of sight. The fish should not be able to look through under them. The lowest 10-15cm above the substrate have to be blocked.
In my experience the footprint of a tank as you are aiming for is not really suitable to keep a pair unless you have the option to move one of the animals to another tank at any time. So I encourage you to think about what exactly you want.

Here a schematic of what I mean by structure. It's one possibility and what worked for me.
structure dwarf cichlids.jpg

Not only can the dithers encourage the apistos to forage in the sand, they eat the leftovers so there are no leftovers to net.
The general mode of feeding of Apistogramma (and most South American dwarf cichlids) is sandsifting and pciking at mulm and detritus anyway, they don't have to be encouraged to do this.

hengeli

5 Year Member
MacZ, we use the metric system in Aust. No need to be so confrontational when replying, we are here to learn from each other.

I can have my opinion and you can have yours. I stock my tanks - 2 footers for one pair and my Cacatuoides are pretty docile.

What I meant is that when they(apistogramma) feel safe when the dithers are out, they are more likely to sift OR most likely they will hide. I've bred my Bitaeniata by accident in a 30cm x 30cm x 30cm cube and I have a hundred fry. I am not encouraging hobbyists to do that but it has happened with me.

You are correct with your idea or structuring a tank with wood and plants as I do the same myself.

MacZ

MacZ, we use the metric system in Aust. No need to be so confrontational when replying, we are here to learn from each other.
We use the metric system too in Europe. I was just confused what there was to calculate. Now I get what you mean. When moving on to the international forums I had to convert gallons and liters as well, nowerdays I have memorized the standard sizes in both units.

I wasn't confrontational either, at least not intentionally. I know sometimes I can be a bit blunt, though. Sorry if that came across that way.

In the end we say the same, just from different angles. works for me.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrothgar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….