• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. taeniatus profile is up

Randall

5 Year Member
Type 1 krib vs. type 2 krib?

Hello Ted,

I've just had a look at the Pelvicachromis species profiles. What is a type 1 krib vs. a type 2 krib? Also, why is P. humilis listed as a "krib" at all?

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Randall,

Type 1 and Type 2 are loosely defined in Anton's book (which is the first place that I had heard of it, but the distinction makes sense). Type 1 are the humilis types (P. humilis, P. signatus, P. rubrolabiatus) and the Type 2 are the other varieties.

There have been so many common names for Pelvicachromis species in the hobby that use the term 'krib' that it has become a catch-all for species in the genus. P. sacrimontis used to be called the Giant Krib and is now called the Scarlet Krib. P. taeniatus is often listed on import lists as 'yellow krib', and is the P. sp. aff. subocellatus from Nigeria. P. pulcher is the most common fish referred to as a krib, but based upon taxonomic history the name 'kribensis' was first used for what is now P. taeniatus from the Kribi area of Cameroon.

Using the term 'krib' as a general moniker for any fish in the genus, in my opinion, causes two things to occur. It forces hobbyists to be specific, because not all kribs are the same species, and the scientific name will have to be used. Second, it permits us an easier term to use when comparing the genus to others, such as saying 'kribs are less prolific than jewels.'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….