• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. Taeniatus "Ndonga"?

kretz11

5 Year Member
I picked up a wild pair from my LFS and I can't seem to find anything on them. I've heard of P. Pulcher"Ndonga", but they assured me that it was a taeniatus. Is there any info out there on them or are they just pulchers?

thanks

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Ndonga"

Dear Kevin,

Ndonga, Cameroon, is home to two Pelvicachromis forms that I am aware of. Pelv. pulcher, whose range was thought to be limited to western Nigeria and is replaced in the East by Pelv. sp. aff. pulcher, was recently discovered in and around Ndonga, Cameroon, historically the domain of Pelv. taeniatus. Interestingly, Pelv. taen. "Ndonga" is now being imported into the US, probably for the first time.

This forum may not be the appropriate venue to get into a lengthly discussion concerning the merits of splitting Pelvicachromis at the generic level, but it would appear that your local guy is right: you may very well have a taeniatus form from Ndonga.

Best of luck with them.

Randall Kohn

Toyin

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Pelv. taeniatus "Ndonga"

Kevin,
Randall is quite right. There is actually a color form of Taeniatus occuring in thesame waters as the Pulcher species endemic to the Ndonga area.
This is a very attractive species exhibiting very strong red color in the fins and the conspicous red marking on the gill covers.
Females exhibit exceptionally bright yellow-gold color and can also be differenciated from the females of other strains by the presence of a single black spot on the upper portion of the caudal fin and also on the soft rayed portion of the dorsal.
I personally think this is probably one of the nicest strains of this species discovered so far.

Randall

5 Year Member
P. taeniatus "Ndonga"

To all Pelvicachromis fans:

The gentleman who was so kind to share some additional information concerning P. taeniatus "Ndonga" is Mr. Toyin Ojo, a importer and distributor of exceptional West African fish and plants. All who might be interested in seeing what Mr. Ojo has to offer can do so though his website at http://www.rehobothaquatics.com/index2.html.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

Orchid

5 Year Member
My interest is peeked any time I see P. taeniatus. After reading this thread I am intrigued about this sp. Ndonga. Does anyone know of an online site that might have a picture of it? Is this sp. readily available with distributors? The pet store I go to when I am in Salem, OR will gladly order me a pair of P.t's if they can get them.

I've given up on ordering things because I live in a very rural and confusing area and Fedex drivers can't always or won't bother to try and find my house, so they take the packages back to their local shipping site which is an hour away from me. I've tried everything to make the delivery easier for them but they seem to suffer from a lack of communication.

Randall

5 Year Member
Dear Chris,

The taeniatus morph from Ndonga has been available in Europe for some time but is only now making its debut here in the US. Mr. Ojo is the only US distributor with whom I am aware who is handling this morph in quantity. You or your LFR may contact him using the website address previously posted on this thread.

If you'd like to see a photo, kindly furnish your email address, and I'll forward one to you.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

dhm325

5 Year Member
P. t. Ndonga

I plan to pick up a pair of P.t. Ndonga this weekend. Can you tell me about your experience with them so far. What size tank are you keeping your pair in? Water parameters? Thanks in advance for any information.

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelv. taen. "Ndonga" Husbandry

Dear Dhm,

My fish new fish are young yet, so I have them in a lightly stocked community envinronment with some other fish that I am growing out a bit before breeding.

Generally, Pelv. taen. do well in 20-gallon or larger tanks that are heavily planted, well decorated with rocks and wood and that provide cave like structures. Dither fish are recommended. For optimum growth and coloration, a varied diet should be offered, and the water should be soft and acidic at about 76 degrees. Pelv. taen. are riverine fish that do well in slightly cooler water.

From my experience with them, it's probably best to breed more mature pairs. If your new fish are young, it might be best to let them grow up a bit before attempting to breed them.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….