• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ornamental fish in Peru

JasonC

5 Year Member
Mike, If you don't mind, what do you know about A. sp. "Hawaii" and A. sp. "Diamante" on this list?

Thanks!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Both are commercial names. "A. sp. Diamante" is A. eremnopyge. Never heard of the name "A. sp. Hawaii" before. I tried to upload the pdf again, but for some reason I can't.

Tom C

5 Year Member
A. sp. "Haway" is a commercial name on a form of Apistogramma bitaeniata with just a little or no cross-bands in the caudal fin. I've never found out where the fishermen collect them...

resizeimage.aspx

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting fish, Tom. It's very deep-bodied/high backed for the typical A. bitaeniata - and it looks almost like it has a caudal spot! Were your fish always so robust?

Tom C

5 Year Member
Yes, they have quite interesting features. I'm not entirely comfortable with regarding them as a variation of the same species as the very slender Brazilian forms. (And the reason they are, is the existence of the "intermediate" form from the Rio Tefé).

Another photo of a male:

resizeimage.aspx

and a female in breeding dress:

resizeimage.aspx

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
About 12 years ago, a form of A. bitaeniata was shipped to Japan that had a caudal with no pattern. It was from the middle Río Putumayo. Unlike Tom's fish, this Putumayo form shows the typical broad lateral band that extends into the caudal fin, not the virtual caudal spot seen on the Haway form.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….