• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Open to ideas

viejo

5 Year Member
I am still having no success in getting a hatch out of my hemichromis 'cf. cristatus UL-1's' (avatar) & have ruled out so far- pH, water chemistry & flouride ( I thought for sure that this was it). Presently they are in RO water with a low tds & a pH that has been as low a 4 (presently @ 5.5), the temperature has varied from 78 to 85. Frequent water changes & a good diet (Live, frozen & dry). I have tried both pulling the spawn & leaving with the parents, no joy either way. I also had the same problem with Ramerizi but have had no problem with other soft water species such as F2 peruvian angels. It's a real puzzler. Oh yes, I also have had no hatching success with a proven pair of tilapia joka under conditions as described above.

viejo

5 Year Member
I had a similar problem until I moved my A. pebas to a bigger tank. Female would lay eggs but not let male fertilize them. Just a thought?

The ova seem to be fertilized ( at least the majority of them). They just stubbornly refuse to develop or hatch. Presently the breeders are in a 40 breeder which should be plenty of 'footprint' for them. I have watched the males fertilize the eggs. We are talking several pairs here, which are all spawning.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Certain heavy metals in small quantities (zinc, for one) dissolved in the water is known to stop development of eggs in trout. Maybe it is the same for cichlids? On the other hand, I can't see how they could be in R/O water.

viejo

5 Year Member
Yes, I can't see much of anything getting thru the RO. I may just have to 'polish' it with a deionizer but somehow I suspect that it may be something else although I am rapidly running out of theories. I haven't tried UV sterilization and/or ozone yet but it is on the to-do list as is pulling the spawn & pre-treating with peroxide or another anti microbial/fungal agent.
Oh yes, I neglected to mention that the water has a good tannin content (peat & almond leaves).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….