• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Online auctions

farm41

5 Year Member
Has anyone used any of these for buying fish, or selling fish?

I've been looking on aquabid, but I am kind of afraid to jump right in and buy something.

Z Man

5 Year Member
Be very careful who you order from. I know one of our members is still waiting for either his $195.00 back or the fish he ordered in May! I know quite a few of those cichlid guys Thomashawk, lottsoffish, Apisto, Bigjohnfish & JerryB among them. I will personally vouch for them. For some others you can look up comments about them on their sellers page.

aspen

5 Year Member
farm, you are quite correct to approach aquabid with some trepidation. there are sellors who surface with different names when their last name gets too many bad things said about them. one discus sellor has at least 3 names, and is still selling fish. as z-man says, the tried and true guys are still the best way to ensure that you get what you pay for. not to say that you may get REAL lucky by trying a no-name sellor, but who wants the hassle of hunting someone for their money or decent fish.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
That's exactly why I posted here first. There are a few names I recognize from the 'apisto list' that I think are pretty safe. The best thing I can think of is getting references from some online buddies.

What's it cost for shipping? They are always giving a box fee, but what about shipping across the country?

Who's had some successful purchases online? Unsuccessful too? What did you get?

Z Man

5 Year Member
I see that 'box fee' all the time and I have to laugh because I can get a hundred boxes for free if I want them from the local store. As far as shipping costs go, I wouldn't pay over $30 for any fish being shipped to me. I have always used Priority Mail and already had fish in transit for 5 days and everyone came in just fine. My friend 'lotsoffish' sells his on Aquabid including shipping & box! Go figure.

Eva32181

5 Year Member
My only experience buying fish online was with Neil, and everything worked out beautifully. He sent them overnight express mail through the post office and it got to me without any shipping gliches. And the fish were great! I have bought some very nice pearlweed on aquabid from Apisto before, too.

P.S. Neil the orange flash cacatuoides are really nice - they have all matured and their finnage is all pretty much solid orange. The female in the batch has orange trim on all her fins, and the male I have her with has 100% perfect orange fins. I am very happy :D They have about 15 or so babies that are about a month old, and they are already showing potentially great colors.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
I've bought and sold on Aquabid for a couple years now. So far so good. Not one unpleasant experience to report. If I don't know the seller, I always start off with an email and some basic fish questions (Easy way to determine the hobbiest from the guys just out to make a buck). If I don't get a good feeling from the email conversations, I usually pass and move on. I don't particularly care for the feedback system used on Aquabid. A lot of retalitory feedback goes on and there are no real guide lines. Probably 75% of my fishroom is from online purchases/auction. I've purchased fish from Neil, 3guysaquatics, and lottsoffish and all have been great. If you are looking for the hard to find stuff, online is about the only way to go.

Shipping is a downside just because of the expense. Anywhere from $5 to $50 depending on quantity and shipping method used. People that ask for outlandish box fees and handling charges are good for a chuckle. There was 1 person out there tacking on $10 for the hassle of have to go to the post office to mail out the fish (His words, not mine) that he was trying to sell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….