• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nitrates, light and plants in a new aquarium

Andrew H

Hi all, I have gotten my new 60 gallon long aquarium set up and heavily planted. I am running a large canister filter per Mac Z's suggestion, and have the output flow spread across a long spray bar to minimize current. Right now the only inhabitants are 7 rummynose and a mystery snail. I'm in no rush, but my longer term goal is to introduce some apistos, perhaps Borelli (Ben R.'s suggestion as I will be working with our local tap water, meaning my pH will be just under 7 with hardness in the 100-200 range). I'm trying to understand the tradeoffs between plant and fish care, with respect to lighting level and nitrates. Questions:

1) What is an acceptable nitrate level for Borelli and would addition of a complete fertilizer life Thrive affect this significantly (current level is 5 ppm, 4 days after first dose of thrive). Fish heath first, but would love to get good plant growth as well.

2) I know apistos like dimmer lighting. I made a mistake and bought an aqueon LED light where you can either adjust intensity OR set a schedule (who thought this up???). This means that the only sustainable option right now is full blast lighting. I could get a different light potentially, but I am wondering if it is feasible to just get a lot of plant growth (floating and stem plants) before introducing the apistos to create significant pockets of shade?

Thanks for any advice!
Best,
Andrew

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Hi Andrew,

1) I don't think nitrate will be a problem for your fish in the range you're quoting. Here's what I would recommend: EI dosing calls for 15 - 20 ppm per week. I would start my dosing at 1/4 EI. Nilocg's standard dose of 2 ml per 10 ml water volume is 6 ppm, so about 1/3 EI. Close enough. If, a week after dosing, your nitrates continue to rise, you can dose a little less next time until you reach a somewhat steady state.

@dw1305 does it a different way, by using the <"Duckweed Index"> since nitrate measurement isn't incredibly accurate at hobbyist kit levels. But the principle is the similar. If there's a deficiency, dose more.

If you find you're burning through that bottle, you could also switch to dry dosing for a tank that size. That's a lot cheaper, but it's nice to see that you're getting the results you want before buying a ton of reagents.

2) All of your planned fish will appreciate dim light. Floating plants will help some, but I think you're likely to get black beard algae in that scenario. Couple things you can do:
(a) Add a tinted window screen between your light and coverglass
(b) See if an inline dimmer is compatible with your connector type. I use the NICREW programmable inline dimmers. They also work on many non-NICREW lights.
(c) Just buy a different light. Low powered LEDs aren't that expensive. And use an an in-line dimmer.

Cheers

Andrew H

Thanks Ben for all the tips. RE the light, as a temp measure I just put three layers of wax paper in between the LED and the glass cover and that seems to cut the light by about 50%.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….