• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the forum

jaypit

5 Year Member
Hello all! Found out about this site from the magazine Aquarium Fish International in an article about apistos.

I currently have an underpopulated 70 gallon w/ 2 angels, a school of cardinal tetras and a couple corys.

I've recently set up a 20 long, stuck a few cherry barbs in just to cycle it. Plan to make it a dedicated tank for either rams or cacatuoides. Any suggestions? I've had rams before and have gotten them to breed, but in a community tank. You know what happened next. Yes, the barbs will be kicked out to the community tank when it's time to get the cichlids!

Seeing some of the pics of fish rooms posted in this forum really makes me feel like a novice, I've seen some gorgeous work here!

apistobob

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are well on your way. You are correct that it is important to have just the right tank mates if you want to parent raise fry.

The 20 long is a perfect size for either the cacatouides or rams. Both are great fish so I would suggest you go with whichever you like best.

Bob

MikeR

5 Year Member
You might want to be careful about putting the barbs with the angels...the barbs can be fin-nippers. And the angels can eat the cardinals if the angels get big enough.

My two cents...

Mike

jaypit

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. The angels and cardinals have been together for quite some time. The cardinals are all at least an inch long. If the barbs prove problematic, oh no, should I say it? An excuse to set up a new tank?!?!?!

jaypit

5 Year Member
Just added to the 20 long, 8 Otocinclus. Get to work boys, algae has begun!

I'll let the bacteria catch up with that load then start looking into adding some real fish.

MikeR

5 Year Member
Jay:

"...an excuse to set up a new tank?" Gee, what a horrible thought. Sorry if I caused you any distress <G>.

When the angels get full-sized, the cardinals might still be lunch, though the variety of angel might affect this. Been there, done that. There are variables, of course, such as density of planting and such, but it's just a thought.

Cherry barbs are not the fin-nippers that some species are, but they can still be a pest, IME.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….