• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new to plants! advice please

shirley

5 Year Member
Today I bought some Java Ferns and anubias nana for my tanks. I have plastic cobomba in the tanks now (which looks incredibly real), plus a "specimen" plant (plastic) in each. I like to keep the plant selection simple. I tied the java ferns and anubias to small rocks and the bogwood. I plan to buy some of the taller anubia barterii (sp?) later. I chose these live plants because I have read that they are less likely to be eaten by the fish, plus they are easy to move around the tank for cleaning, and can be removed for pruning, since they are mounted on rocks. I don't want to plant the tank floor - I like to vacuum that gravel! My question is, how long will it take for the roots to take hold onto the rocks/wood? Should I snip off the fishing line at that time? Also, the fish store said I do not need to buy any fancy lighting - the flourescents that came with the tank will suffice as long as they are on at least 12 hours a day. He also said that fertilizers are not necessary - the fish waste provides fertilization. I was surprised that he gave me this advice, since his store sells all those lights and fertilizers, etc.! I'd appreciate some opinions/advice from everyone! Thanks!

farm41

5 Year Member
What size tank, and how many watts do you have?

The addition of trace elements will always benefit a planted tank. TMG, Flourish Trace, Kent Freshwater Plant supplement.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
Hi Shirley!

You will probably find that the roots will take about 6 months to really adhere to the wood. Rough surfaces take less time than smooth surfaces. Generally, unless the the fishing line you use is visible, you probably do not have toe worry about removing it. Most monofilament (believe it or not) will not last forever. That is a good thing, or the lakes and streams would be full of old line.. even more than they already are.

I use a size 3/0 (size measurement) cotton or cotton/nylon blend for most of my tying (and I do a lot of it). I use black, and it is not overly visible. The thread lasts about a year before it basically rots off. I like thread better than mono because it is softer; and the 3/0 lies flat against surfaces. There si a fine line between too tight and not tight enough, and the 'give' in the thread leaves more room for error.

Another trick is to get some gravel around the roots of the anubias if you can. On my large pieces of wood with big plants, I try to pile the gravel up onto the rhizome where it is tied on. The roots seem to grow faster. This is especially true when I use Flourite gravel.

I use Flourish Iron as a fertilzer (available in the apistogramma.com store).

Good luck :D

Ted

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….