• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to forum

bettamuse

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum,
This is a simplistic account from what I’ve observed but it may help you read the signs.

With apistogramma the female will became more aggressive towards the male, most females will also display their breeding colours, mostly differing shades of yellow. She will also do a lot more flirting with the male.
Once they have chosen a spawning site then the female will spend more time hanging around that area. Even when she comes out to eat she will keep darting back to check on her brood.
Once the fry have hatched and are being moved by her or free swimming the females body language changes again. She with stay close to an area like with egg care and may even dart around harassing the male and feeding but her fins will always remain erect. She will rarely close them while she is around the fry. This habit is normally my cue to start really looking for fry so I can start directly feeding them.

Cheers
Todd

Apistogramma keeper

Welcome to the forum,
This is a simplistic account from what I’ve observed but it may help you read the signs.

With apistogramma the female will became more aggressive towards the male, most females will also display their breeding colours, mostly differing shades of yellow. She will also do a lot more flirting with the male.
Once they have chosen a spawning site then the female will spend more time hanging around that area. Even when she comes out to eat she will keep darting back to check on her brood.
Once the fry have hatched and are being moved by her or free swimming the females body language changes again. She with stay close to an area like with egg care and may even dart around harassing the male and feeding but her fins will always remain erect. She will rarely close them while she is around the fry. This habit is normally my cue to start really looking for fry so I can start directly feeding them.

Cheers
Todd
ok Is there any thing i need to do to get them to breed??

Rod

5 Year Member
Welcome....

Nothing special to get them to breed.....

good husbantry....
ie weekly 30% water changes
plenty of places to hide/or lay eggs....pots /coconut shells/driftwood with holes
feed high protein food....live food is Good
With male and 3 females you would need a 30inch tank minimum
a few dither fish wont hurt....tetras/corys
Fine sand substrate is better than course gravel as there is less opportunity for food to get caught ib substrate and go septic
I like plants in breeding tanks to use nutrients and provide substrate for micro fauna(first fry food)
A little warmer than normal...27C

I assume tank is cycled?

Apistogramma keeper

Welcome....

Nothing special to get them to breed.....

good husbantry....
ie weekly 30% water changes
plenty of places to hide/or lay eggs....pots /coconut shells/driftwood with holes
feed high protein food....live food is Good
With male and 3 females you would need a 30inch tank minimum
a few dither fish wont hurt....tetras/corys
Fine sand substrate is better than course gravel as there is less opportunity for food to get caught ib substrate and go septic
I like plants in breeding tanks to use nutrients and provide substrate for micro fauna(first fry food)
A little warmer than normal...27C

I assume tank is cycled?

yes it is and why won't my male come out??

bigbird

5 Year Member
do you have a picture of your tank ? Believe it or not but with 3 females, maybe the male is just hidding, as the more close the female is to breeding, the more aggresive it gets to get the attention of the male. How big is your male and is he a mature male or a young one ? cheers jk :cool:

Apistogramma keeper

do you have a picture of your tank ? Believe it or not but with 3 females, maybe the male is just hidding, as the more close the female is to breeding, the more aggresive it gets to get the attention of the male. How big is your male and is he a mature male or a young one ? cheers jk :cool:

here a pic it not my pic but this is what he look like
i think he full grown
081ph.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….