• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Apistos.

Buccal

I won a breeding pair of F1 Apistogramma affini Cruzi from an auction last week and I put them in my tank I had setup for growing up Jack Dempsey cichlids (all gone now). I want to make a proper tank for them so I've came to this forum.

I wanted to use a combination of moss, driftwood, indian almond leaves, ferns, anubias and other low light plants for my ~10-15g setup.

Regarding substrates I have some left over Amazonia/Africana. I have experience with plants, fish and shrimps. Is there another one I can use? Or maybe I can use the ADA soil as a bottom layer as they crumble over time if actively "sifted" through which the apistos are known to do.

What TDS do people recommend? Ive seen anywhere from 50-200.

For tank mates could I use some otos, cories and amano shrimps?

Thanks for the help.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I wanted to use a combination of moss, driftwood, indian almond leaves, ferns, anubias and other low light plants for my ~10-15g setup.
Perfect, just need to add some floaters.
Regarding substrates I have some left over Amazonia/Africana. I have experience with plants, fish and shrimps. Is there another one I can use? Or maybe I can use the ADA soil as a bottom layer as they crumble over time if actively "sifted" through which the apistos are known to do.
Most of us use silica sand, but there is no reason why you can't use any fine grained substrate that doesn't raise TDS. I've got some moler clay cat litter in one tank and that is fine. I'm no familiar with ADA Amazonia, but I think it might contain too many nutrients when new, and be a bit large grain size. The powder size would be perfect. Same applies to ADA Africana, which I believe starts out with less nutrients, so would be my choice out of the 2.
F1 Apistogramma affini Cruzi
Not sure about these, it is not a name I'm familiar with, but I would try and aim for TDS towards the lower part of your range. It may be part of the A. eunotus complex

I try and keep conductivity about 100 microS so 50 - 60ppm TDS. Final point would be to have a good read through the forum, it has taught me so much. You could have a look at ApistoBob's (Bob's a member) web-site, it is full of good advice <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….