• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B

bluetech

Hi! Just registered and would like to send my greetings to everyone. Congratulations for a very nice and informative site.

I'm new to Dwarf Cichlids. As a matter of fact, don't have a single one of them. I've kept numerous kinds of fishes before and currently have a number of Large Cichlids right now.

I'm planning to shift to the Dwarfs coz they're easier to handle(I think). I have very little knowledge, if any, regarding dwarfs. All I can identify are the Rams and the Jewel. Also, there are very few types of dwarfs here in Manila.

Now, for my questions :)

How many adult dwarfs can I put in a decorated 50gal tank? They will all be males to avoid potential problems brought about by spawning.

Will 15gal tanks be alright for breeding a pair of dwarfs? What setup do you suggest? I have no prior knowledge in breeding them.

That's all for now. Thanks in advance. Regards.

Ed

Randall

5 Year Member
bluetech said:
How many adult dwarfs can I put in a decorated 50gal tank? They will all be males to avoid potential problems brought about by spawning.

Will 15gal tanks be alright for breeding a pair of dwarfs? What setup do you suggest? I have no prior knowledge in breeding them.

Dear Ed,

Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to dwarf cichlids!

One of the greatest joys of dwarf cichlid keeping is observing their spawning behavior and raising their fry to maturity. I think it would be a shame if you missed out this most fascinating and rewarding aspect of the hobby.

In a 50-gallon tank, you could probably keep up to four pairs or, perhaps, two pairs and two trios, depending on the species selected and their size. Because they are called dwarfs, that doesn't necessarily mean small. Some "dwarfs" can grow to five inches!, but are dwarfs nevertheless due to their generic placement and temperment.

15-gallon tanks should be fine for breeding many dwarf cichlid species. Setups can vary, but as a rule, many dwarf cichlids respond well to heavily planted tanks with rocks and wood decorations and a fine substrate. Should you opt to keep cave spawners, then some cave like structures should be included as well.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

bluetech,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I totally agree with Randall. If you are not that interested in breeding now, you will be. There is just too much that is amazing about the whole breeding process with Dwarf Cichlids that you will miss. But, if you do just want males, you can stock the tank fairly heavily, as long as your filtration is adequate.

Will 15gal tanks be all right for breeding a pair of dwarfs? What setup do you suggest? I have no prior knowledge in breeding them.

A 15g is what I use for breeding most Dwarf Cichlids. Again, Randall is correct in saying that the structure in the tank is important. You need to make sure that you know what the breeding "scheme" of the particular fish is that you intend to work with and then arrange the tank appropriately. But, in most cases, a fair amount of structure will mitigate aggression. That means that if you are working with an open substrate-spawner, you still want hiding places for the fish to escape aggression from their partner. You can put caves into tanks that aren't only for spawning. Usually good structure in the tank means that the fish are more comfortable. More comfortable fish are out in the open more. It is kind of funny that, if you give fish more places to hide, they will not use them as much. Dithers (other fish like tetras) may also serve this same purpose.
Good luck and have fun.
Neil

B

bluetech

Thanks for the warm welcome. I think my first step is to find out what varities are available in my area. I know that my choices here are very limited. Regards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….