• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Jutai prob

MonteSS

This poor guy got lost in the mail and spent 6 days in the bag. Is this amonia burn? Some may be his normal markings but looks "not so good" to me. BTW, this is right out of the bag.

Shame as it looks like he would be a great lookin fish.

Picture1576.jpg

Picture1575.jpg

Thanks...Bill

MonteSS

Hmmm. Found this pic on another website of a Jutai. Maybe this is how the look??

jutai.jpg

....Bill

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Bill I think he will be all right, just keep the water changes up and give him lots of good quality food (live mosquito larvae would be really good if you can get them). You may find that he develops "cloudy eye" now, but my suspicion would be that he will be absolutely fine.

cheers Darrel

Microman

5 Year Member
From the pics i cant see anything wrong....
He looks just like the many specimens i have seen in my own tanks and at the exporters.
The red and pink facial colouration looks perfect to me.
Mark...

MonteSS

Thanks all.

I was not familiar with the species and it was SO red that it looked like an open wound/sore to me. And sitting in the box for six days (hot here too) worried me.

....Bill

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I tend to agree with the others your male A. sp. Kelleri (that's what he should be called because it was discovered that they don't come from the Rio Jutai) just looks like he has some super red markings. I don't see anything like hemmoraging on him. Still, a month of quarantine should set your mind at ease.:)

bettamuse

5 Year Member
Doesn’t look to have any ammonia burn at all. Typically all the edges of his fins would be white and damaged. This would be very noticeable in the clear pectoral fins and the points of his dorsal.
On another note, well done to the person that packed it. If he has been in a bag for 6 days and still looks that good, they must be doing something right.

BM

bigbird

5 Year Member
I must say that is a stunning looking fish. Agree with all that there seems to be nothing wrong with him, except stress and a lot of TLC will fix this up. I would love to see a photo of him in 7-10days time. All the best cheers jk :cool:

MonteSS

I cant get a good pic of him showing off. He doesnt care for the female much. Maybe a mirror will get him to display and show his great dorsal.

Picture1750.jpg

Picture1749.jpg

Female is always hiding from him but wont use the small caves.

Picture1735.jpg

Maybe the 24" 26g tank is just too small. Tankmates are 12 Neons, 3 Habrosus cories and 3 Otos.

....Bill

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
He does look a bit washed out (may just be the flash). I'd maybe try adding some live plants (these are all fake?), a bit more cover maybe (dead oak leaves?) and possibly changing the substrate to a finer sand (helps with allowing the fish to show natural sand sifting behaviour). A bit of live food? might also help with the colour.

cheers Darrel

Erik82

5 Year Member
About the health of your A. sp kelleri, nothing is wrong on that one. He could use some living mosquito larvae or something. Like Darrel said, maby use some finer sand.

What are the water conditions of the tank? The A. sp. kelleri loves extreme water with a very low EC;
pH 5 - 6.5
GH 1 - 3
KH 0 - 2
EC approximately 10 - 50

MonteSS

Thanks all.

The sand is PFS. They sift through is pretty easily. Maybe the camera makes it look bigger grained than it is.

The only live food available to me is Brine Shrimp. The LFS is pretty far away and not easy to get to regularly.

I was thinking of hatching my own BBS. That looks easy enough. Would that be enough live or do I still need more variety or different live food?

Tank is fairly heavily planted with the fake silk plants. Lots of hiding spots but she goes up in the water column, against the 3d backround for refuge. He gives her short chases but never trys to hurt her. He is almost 3" and she is about 1.5". She stays pretty white. No signs of yellow and she does not try to flirt with him.

My PH is 7.0
Not sure on hardness.

Thanks again...Bill

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
"She" might be a young subdominant male. Apistos often swim in the upper collumn of the water as a way to get out of another fish's territory. BBS forms 90% of the diet of my apistos. I think you should try them on your fish.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cole

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….