• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here, Breeding Rams questions please.

K

KellyQ

Hello! I am so happy to have found this website! I have a bonded pair of German Blue Rams that spawned on Friday night. I am new to the fishkeeping world, so have lots of questions. LOL

I really want to try my hand at successfully raising some Ram fry. My pair have been doing wonderfully so far, she laid her eggs and they have both been fanning the eggs and guarding the eggs from the other fish in my tank. They are currently in my only tank a 29 gallon planted tank. I would like to set them up 20 gallon long tank for themselves so that there is a better chance of the eggs hatching. These are such beautiful and fun fish!

This morning I noticed most of the eggs are missing so assume that they either got eaten or they moved them. The female Ram is still guarding the few eggs that are left. I know the chances are slim of these eggs hatching, but want to start preparing for a tank of their own. My water parameters in this tank aren't 'right' for them I know. My PH is 7.2, KH is 2 DH, GH 9DH, ammonia and nitrite are both 0.

My question is to set up this 20 long I was thinking of using RO water. Does anyone have suggestions on ways to make this tank perfect for them? I am really a newbie when it comes to this stuff so any help would be wonderful! I don't know if I would have to 'do' anything to the RO water or just put it in straight or what. I have been reading the posts on this board and have gotten some great ideas so far.

Thank you so much!!
Kelly

29 gallon heavy planted, 2 Blue Rams, 2 Dwarf Flame Gourami's, Rummynose Tetras, Julii Cory's, 2 fancy guppies, snail and amano shrimp.

Neil

KellyQ,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Sorry you had to wait so long for a reply! :oops:

Hello! I am so happy to have found this website! I have a bonded pair of German Blue Rams that spawned on Friday night. I am new to the fishkeeping world, so have lots of questions. LOL

Hello Kelly! Congrats on your spawn!

I really want to try my hand at successfully raising some Ram fry. My pair have been doing wonderfully so far, she laid her eggs and they have both been fanning the eggs and guarding the eggs from the other fish in my tank. They are currently in my only tank a 29 gallon planted tank. I would like to set them up 20 gallon long tank for themselves so that there is a better chance of the eggs hatching. These are such beautiful and fun fish!

Good choice. Yes they are very pretty and interesting fish.

This morning I noticed most of the eggs are missing so assume that they either got eaten or they moved them. The female Ram is still guarding the few eggs that are left. I know the chances are slim of these eggs hatching, but want to start preparing for a tank of their own. My water parameters in this tank aren't 'right' for them I know. My PH is 7.2, KH is 2 DH, GH 9DH, ammonia and nitrite are both 0.

Rams have been known to breed and even hatch viable fry in a planted (community?) tank with those water conditions, but you are likely to have better results in a “breeding†tank where you can manage the water and they can manage the protection of the fry more easily.

My question is to set up this 20 long I was thinking of using RO water.

Excellent!

I am really a newbie when it comes to this stuff so any help would be wonderful! I don't know if I would have to 'do' anything to the RO water or just put it in straight or what. I have been reading the posts on this board and have gotten some great ideas so far.

Straight RO water will probably be too unstable for you to be able to maintain a stable pH, which is important with rams. Small amounts of your tap water will be necessary to buffer the waters ability to keep your pH where you want it. Mix your tap and RO water at a particular percentage to get a desired result (ie, 25%tap/75%RO) and try to replicate those conditions in your continuing waterchanges.

Does anyone have suggestions on ways to make this tank perfect for them?

Clean water would be my main suggestion. Regular water changes are often more important than a particular water value. In addition, you will want spawning surfaces, structure to give them security and escape from aggression of their partner, (I prefer) sand substrate for rams because they like to dig little pits for the eggs and wigglers, and a heater. They prefer 82 to 84 degrees.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….