• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here, and relatively new to Apistogramma keeping.

RustedKnight

Hey all, I found you guys through AquaRank (it actually works).

I've been fishkeeping about 2 years, and have had both marine and tropical tanks.

Currently got 4 setups;

My main display; 36"x12"x15"
9x mixed corydora, 9x bumblebee goby (weaned onto freshwater), 1m 4f Apistogramma Cacatouides.

My breeding tank; 30"x12"x15"
Currently housing Male Betta and 2 day old fry.

Missus' Main Display; unknown dimensions, 60l
1x Young Male Betta, 1x Female Betta (trying to induce spawning), 4x juvi panda corydora.

Kitchen Tank for the oddballs; 20something litre, horrid.
1x rummynose tetra, 1x male guppy, 5x Glolight tetra, and currently housing 2x Female fighters whilst male is in breeding tank.

So as stated above, I keep Cacatouides, they're all relatively young, but have a sneaking suspicion that they have already spawned, with 1 female constantly in breeding colours whilst fiercely guarding her cave.

I'm hoping to get my hands on some true Veijita for my next project, but that will be after christmas.
Was thinking of having a tank stylised as a river bed, plenty of floating plants and etc, and have a couple of male Veijita, several females, and maybe have some Scarlet Badis (dario dario) as tankmates.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! You'll find some good people with a lot of good information here.

Good luck finding the true A. viejita (Rotsaum Apisto). I haven't seen it for over a decade. 99.9% of all photos on the internet that claim to be A. viejita are actually a domestic or wild red-shoulder form of A. macmasteri.

Badis/Dario sp. are too much like apistos in form, habits, and habitat needs. Apistos will look at them as competitors. They might be ok in a larger tank with an adequate number of well delineated territories and on the apisto species.

RustedKnight

Welcome to the forum! You'll find some good people with a lot of good information here.

Good luck finding the true A. viejita (Rotsaum Apisto). I haven't seen it for over a decade. 99.9% of all photos on the internet that claim to be A. viejita are actually a domestic or wild red-shoulder form of A. macmasteri.

Badis/Dario sp. are too much like apistos in form, habits, and habitat needs. Apistos will look at them as competitors. They might be ok in a larger tank with an adequate number of well delineated territories and on the apisto species.

Thank you for the reply. I plan to stick around.

Yeah i'd heart it was hard to get true veijita, I don't mind settling for macmasteri, but I also hear that veijita are a much smaller fish, and I prefer the smaller fish.

And on the Badis being seen as competition, oh well, it was a nice idea, I shall find something else instead (most likely more corydora)

bigbird

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. Hope you find what you are looking for, but be wary for those who state they sell Viejita. Corys are also a good addition and come in a multitude of colours and sizes. Maybe also for consideration are the Rams ? Keep us informed and enjoy. cheers jk :cool:

RustedKnight

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find what you are looking for, but be wary for those who state they sell Viejita. Corys are also a good addition and come in a multitude of colours and sizes. Maybe also for consideration are the Rams ? Keep us informed and enjoy. cheers jk :cool:

I had "a bad experience" with rams, they were lovely and peaceful tankmates, until first feeding time, where several corydora got chunks taken out of their tails, and my apisto's got pushed around something fierce. They were returned very quickly, unfortunately. I liked the rams, though it's quite possible I got a bad egg, if you know what I mean.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(