• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new fish discoveries covered by CNN

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I was just catching up on the news at the CNN website and saw this article some of you might be interested in. It's about a group of scientists studying a previously unexplored river in Venezuela. They announced the discovery of 10 new species of fish. But they only described 3 or 4.

If anyone has any other details of this exploration I be interested in reading it. I guess the physical exploration took place in 2000 and they are now announcing the results.

I wonder if they found any new species of Apistogramma?

Here is a shortcut link to that article on the CNN website:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/08/29/venezuela.fish.reut/index.html

Michael

Neil

This is the first i have heard of this. Very interesting that it drew the attention of CNN. Everyone must have halted bombing each other for a few hours and news got slow. I would be interested to know if they found any new apistos also. There are some nice ones in that area. Who knows how many undiscovered ones.
The fish that they did talk about sounded interesting. And the pic of that new bloodfin tetra is amazing! I want some.
Might be worth emailing Oliver L. about it. He has alot of ties down there and might know something.
Neil

kribs

5 Year Member
oh wait i take that back. just got a email from oliver here is what he said.
Nobody has this fish, actually nobody has any fish from the Rio Caura
region. Why don't you buy Aphyocharax rathbuni? They are just as nice
and
easy to get in most pet stores....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….