• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need your input please!

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I have the opportunity to pick up a 33 gallon long setup with a glass divider in the middle and was thinking of making this 2 separate tanks and housing 2 types of apistos. The tank used to be in a LFS, so it is drilled with 2 bulkheads which I would cap off and the divider separates the tank but is short on the top for water flow. They would both share water/heater and have a sponge filter for one for each side. My questions for you are:

1. Would this setup work for 2 different types of apistos that have the same water requirements?
2. What apistos would you put in there?

I'm interested to hear what your thoughts/combos are.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, since the tank isn't totally divided, I wouldn't be surprised if one day you see some of your apistos trading places. You could add a piece of non-metallic hardware screen or nylon needlepoint fabric at the top. This would still allow circulation and prevent accidental migration of species. As for species, I would pick pairs of apistos with similar water requirements but different body shapes, say A. borellii and A. trifasciata.

gerald

5 Year Member
You might consider getting two pairs of one species, preferably unrelated (or from the same wild shipment). Then you'll hopefully have unrelated offspring to pair up for your next generation, and for trade with other breeders.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….