• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with ID

Wilfried

Recently a friend gave me 5 apisto which were bullying his other fish in his community tank and he needed to get rid of them. These apisto most likely are wild caught some place in Venezuela, as due to economic and political situation there are no imports and exports and the market is very depressed.
So, the first two pictures show the biggest, about 6 cm... it shines from gold to blue and never shows any dots or lines like the others. the next two correspond to three very similar individuals, about 4,5 cm long. The last two photos show the smallest of about 3 cm which developed a nice yellow color, spends most of his time in the coconut cave.
I appreciate your help to get a proper ID and advice if these 5 can stay together
Apisto_1.jpg
Apisto_1.1.jpg
Apisto_2.2.jpg
Apisto_3.jpg
Apisto_3.3.jpg

Attachments

• Apisto_2.jpg
    Apisto_2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 342

rasmusW

5 Year Member
hey there!

i'm by no means an expert here, but they kinda look like the d47, i had. not sure how that fits, with the catch location if they are wildcaught.
anyway, good luck with them.

-r

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, they are all species in the macmasteri-complex. The top 2 photos appear to be one of the populations/species related to A. hoignei. The rest look like A. macmasteri (a Colombian species) to me. With so many new forms collected in Colombia recently, I have problems keeping up with all of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….