• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. transvestitus

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
I just wanted to share my good news with you guys. Today i was fish shopping to pick up my Apistogramma sp maulbruter (first time they've been in Australia. Very glad and lucky to have 4/20). And checked a nearby Aquarium (Aquapets at Bondi to any Australians - i highly recommend them) and looked in a tank and found a fish labelled Nannochromis nudiceps. I had a look and im very sure they are transvestitus, unless they go thru a major change during maturation. That is the first time ive seen these guys in Australia.

So today i secured 2 of my 3 dream fish. Now im just looking for some real Biotedoma cupido.

AdamR

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
Thanks for the interest. They ended up being bitaeniata. And then due to my second crazy pH drop are unfortunately deceased. Unfortunatly for the fish i still have lots to learn about water chemistry.

(Its been one of those weeks)

Adam

Randall

5 Year Member
pH crash

Hello Adam,

So sorry to learn of your bad news.

As you know, working with very soft water can be tricky because due to its low buffering capacity, very soft water is subject to pH crashes. I usually work with discus strength water with KH levels of 2-3. If a lower pH is necessary than these KH levels furnish (i.e., for Nanochromis transvestitus), I treat the water with peat moss. I've found that this method is preferable to using water with KH levels that are less than 2 (KH<2), and that pH crashes can be avoided.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
With the peat moss method, do you put say the water your using in with peat moss and aerate the water? Fish can be frustrating but ill learn.

Thanks for the advice.

Adam

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….